Q: Cal-Scale Detail Kits for Stewart/Bowser F Units - Are They Worth the Money?

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I just learned that Detail Associates quit making the super-detailing kits for Stewart and Bowser F units. Everywhere I look for them, they are sold out.

The only kits I see that are still available are the ones sold by Cal-Scale. My memories of Cal-Scale go back to the days when they sold a detailing kit for Athearn Blue Box F7 shells - square windshield "glass" and overly-thick handrails and grab irons.

Is their modern-day kit anywhere near as good as the Detail Associates DK-701 kit used to be? The set I see in catalog photos appears rather crude, I don't want to waste my money on fat grab irons...

I have used Cal Scale for adding many details to both steam and Diesel locos and find their products to be well worth the price. I have not used any Detailing Kits from them. I have used Walthers detailing kits for Athearn F-7 units and liked them very much! Last time I looked Walthers was still selling these kits; but can't say for sure!

Thanks for replying, I know the Cal Scale horns look really good, in fact they are my go-to source for those. What I'm trying to determine is the thickness of the wire that their grabs and handrails are made of.

Back