PSX-2

MilwRoader_Steve

Greetings all,

Does anyone here use the DCC Concepts Power Shield Circuit Breakers? I bought the PSX-2 (2 independent CBs). I see the manual suggesting that I use the Digitrax option, which changes the addresses that the user can establish for the CB.

Do you use the accessory addresses? Or should I just keep it manual? Curious how best to employ this technology.

Also, Each CB would need its own addresses, correct? I would not want the CBs, and then eventual PSX-AR auto-reverser to have the same addresses, right?

Any help much appreciated. -------Steve J

Hi, Steve. I just saw this thread now. I can't answer your question now but I have a PSX AR and just ordered a PSX 2 for my other two power districts. Maybe I'll have some info for you after I install.

If you have learned more about this since posting I hope you'll share. Beyond that, I can only suggest calling DCC Concepts. When trying to wire my AR I called twice (I'm a beginner and know nothing about electricity). The gentleman was great and got me straightened out.

Hi, Steve. I just saw this thread now. I can't answer your question now but I have a PSX AR and just ordered a PSX 2 for my other two power districts. Maybe I'll have some info for you after I install.

If you have learned more about this since posting I hope you'll share. Beyond that, I can only suggest calling DCC Concepts. When trying to wire my AR I called twice (I'm a beginner and know nothing about electricity). The gentleman was great and got me straightened out.

i will be glad to update you and this thread. What number did you call? I did put in a call a week ago Friday, but never got a call-back after leaving my message and tel number. I did get some good info on a Digitrax users forum I joined.

For the jumper wire, I ordered these from amazon and then screwed in the jumper. I did it this way so the jumper could be undone if needed. I have a prime account so it was faster and cheaper than Tony's.

3.5mm Pitch 2Pin PCB Mount Screw Terminal Block Connector

To the original topic, my PM42 went out on me one day so I replaced it with the PSX4. I also had 2 AR-1s which always gave me issues and I replaced both of them with the PSX-AR. I will tell you that my layout runs so much better than it did with the Digitrax solution. I'm not slamming Digitrax because they do make fine products, but in this instance the DCC Specialties products are superior.

Just FYI - here's a picture of my setup:

Photo

I'm not sure if that link will work or not.

Here is what I ***think*** so far:

1) I will establish at least one accessory address for each PSX card. I have a Digitrax Zephyr, and I need to set the trip value for each circuit breaker at a value not available by using the jumpers.

2) Other than that, I do not plan to use block detection as I have no staging tracks, hidden or otherwise. Looks a pretty cool functio, though, for those who do have those features.

3) From that Digitrax Users thread, I got a good tip regarding the jumpers. A user soldered these terminal connectors to the board to make connections easier:

Any help you get, please share! Thanks

----- Steve J

My PSX 2 came yesterday. I got it all set up with my booster and PSX AR. I didn't hook any of it up to the layout yet but performed all the tests on all the devices described in the instructions and it worked as it should. I didn't need to do any programing or change any addresses.

In the instructions it does say it works without programing any CVs. I'm guessing that if you perform the steps for Digitrax users it will work fine. I hope so anyway! Let me know.

Paul

Back