PRR orange juice train?

Myowngod

Pennsy Tuscan Red Blood
A few months back in Model Railroader they had an article about modern Tropicana juice train that runs from Florida to North Jersey. Now I see this train pass when I railfan in Bound Brook, NJ and it's a sight to see... I need a heck of a big glass of OJ after it passes.

I was wondering what kind of refrigerator reefers the PRR used back in the 50-60's? My Dad always mentioning seeing the juice train in Philly when he was growing. I want to have one run on our layout, so what kind of reefers were they?

Thanks

Wow, this was a while ago! Your dad couldn't have seen a solid juice train before 1971, when they first began running. The original juice trains used 100 ton insulated box cars. Refrigerator cars were only used starting about 1976 for the trip to the West Coast. There's more about the juice trains at http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTW040201.html.

Great. Thanks a lot for the info. I'll start there as a reference. Does anyone know of an appropriate model for the early unit trains in the 70's? Or even something I could modify for a close representation.

Back