PRR NEC Layout - Big City Railroading

modelbob

Administrator
This fellow is either a genius, crazy, or maybe a bit of both... In any case, an incredible layout, I can't believe how much he's managed to cram in a small space. His website is well worth a visit for a look at what you can do with city scenery.

I started this railroad to satisfy a Dream. Not many people had built a city railroad. Most of the layouts you see are of the suburbs or out in the country, With Hills, Tunnels and Rolling scenery. I wanted a real challenge that a modern city would bring. I had to scratch build everything because At that time and even today there wasn't much on model railroad market for this type of City or it was too expensive.

My inspiration was the NEC from Zoo to Frankford Junction basically a 5-6 track stretch of railroad cramped with factories, sidings and small yards with diverse catenary styles. In this area some factories were right up on Right of Way, Almost fighting for proximity to it. It was a true Corridor. I was so impressed I decided to model it.

http://www.prrnortheastcorridor.com/NORTHEASTCORRIDORHO.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. I was this close to doing an urban canyon layout myself before I decided to go with the Rock Ridge and Train City.

I think that's an amazing and very impressive layout. To have such an interesting design, as well as to have scratch built everything, rates this individual as a true modler in my mind. Kind of reminds me of Pittsburgh when the streetcars ran on our narrow downtown streets. I like it a lot.
Tom

Back