Prototype watching.

Gregjl

Hi Everybody, Is it possible to do find out the when and where of freight train schedules? I read something about radios somewhere.

Thanks, Greg

I don't really think freight trains run on schedules anymore, not around here anyway.
Passenger trains do but not always on time.
If you get a scanner you can find out when and where they are running tho.

Thanks for the response, I started with a scanner radio app to see what it's all about. I don't know about spending a $100 to hear nothing. I can't remember the last time I saw a freight train in north Jersey. I would actually be happy if I had to wait for a train to go by, for a time anyway.

First, trains do run all the time. Second, not where you are. That is a given! The solution is to go to ATCS. You need to join the group, then download a ton of stuff then get it to run on your lap top. I take my slap top out with me on the road. Where are the trains? Look at the ATCS. White tracks are not in use right now. Red is where the train is, and if you learn how to read the signals on ATCS you know where it is going. those lines are green. knowing where you are, you can look in the ATCS group on Yahoo! to join and if there are any sub division in your area (within 50 miles or so) to download. Now you need to follow their instructions including which "port' you need to load for the data.

Hope that helps ...

The Aerojet

Railroads operate general freight trains and intermodal trains on schedules. Locals generally run about the same time on the days they run, but may only go as far as they have work. Bulk trains (coal, grain, ore, rock, oil, etc.) don't usually run on schedules.

Railroads generally do not publically publish freight train schedules.

Since I don't know where you are located, I cannot give specific advice. I mostly railfanned the Santa Fe and even in their heyday, they ran all freights as "extras". They roughly followed the same time frames for mixed freight and intermodals as Dave posted. I still railfan, but it is BNSF now and both of the lines that I watch are "traffic-heavy". I can usually count on 2-4 trains an hour on the Ft Worth to Oklahoma City line; and on the Dallas to Dennison line it is generally 2 trains an hour. The Ft Worth line also has an interchange with KCS on a former ATSF line from Krum TX over to Dallas that ATSF sold to KCS just before the merger. KCS also has a "run-through" train to the Alliance Intermodal Yard every evening about 1900. Twice a day the Amtrak "Heartland Flyer" passes by as well, it sticks to a regular schedule. The Ft Worth line picks up all of the locomotives manufactured at the new GE locomotive manufacturing plant just north of Ft Worth and delivers them to connections nationwide. I get to see a lot of "foreign" power because of this. I believe that they are making 6 new locos a week now.
I am at an advantage because of the proximity of these lines and I never fail to see some trains.
Good luck with your location(s).

Willie

When I go out to just watch trains, I think someone puts the word out to stop all traffic until I'm gone. I've spent hours at the Horse Show Curve in PA on a weekday with absolutely no traffic. I'm convinced it's only a branchline for the Amish furniture industry. I can sit by the CSX line near Fredericksburg, VA for hours on end with only one or two commuter trains passing. I've spent hours waiting by the NS lines near Manasses, VA and see nothing. The only place I see trains is in AZ or CA on the UP and BNSF lines through Kingman, AZ, Benson, AZ and the Cajon Pass in CA.

For what ever this is worth -- look at a map of your state. Locate the tracks, they should be shown on the road map. Now find whee two or more meet / junction / cross. This is where the action is. Around here it is up at Duplainville where the two Canadians cross. (CP - CN) .. This is the old Milwaukee Road Main, and the Soo main. Just a suggestion and my 2 cents worth ... Just a side bar to this - even with the slow rail traffic today, on a typical Saturday or Sunday afternoon it is possible to see about 4 to 12 trains in a four hour period. Just depends on traffic -- some days it is busy, and other you wonder if they quit railroading ... Watch the ATCS to find out what is going on.

The Aerojet

I agree with Aerojet about train schedules and being a hit or miss for train watching on certain days.

I live close to the DuPlainville diamond that Aerojet mentioned and I do a lot of rail fanning at that location. Some days while waiting along the CP line, many trains will run on the CN or vice a versa, just a matter of timing.

I can hear from my house, both mainlines for the Union Pacific and CN. It doesn't seem like there's any set schedule on either line.

Thanks.

Greg

For me train watching is pretty easy. The main BNSF/MRL line comes right through my area. I like going to the top of Bozeman Pass as up there the trains are going pretty slowly and you can get some excellent photos. When ever we go over to my friend house I can sit on the back deck and watch trains at the west side of the pass and watch the helpers get cut into the train or dropped off at the bottom from west bound trains.

When I go out to just watch trains, I think someone puts the word out to stop all traffic until I'm gone. I've spent hours at the Horse Show Curve in PA on a weekday with absolutely no traffic. I'm convinced it's only a branchline for the Amish furniture industry. I can sit by the CSX line near Fredericksburg, VA for hours on end with only one or two commuter trains passing. I've spent hours waiting by the NS lines near Manasses, VA and see nothing. The only place I see trains is in AZ or CA on the UP and BNSF lines through Kingman, AZ, Benson, AZ and the Cajon Pass in CA.

Hi Ken,

I wanted to know if you have had any luck finding trains in Manassas or nearby. I'm not out as much as I like but I would love to see some trains if I could. I find passenger trains in Manassas but that's about it.

Dave

Thanks for all the help Everybody, I'm waiting for a response from atcs now and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again

Back