Prototype Pictures: Weathering Inspiration

Grande Man- Ahh yes, a Railbox: The weatherers best friend!

I touched up your photo so it doesn't look as dark. Hope you don't mind!

As the brighter photo reveals, it seems to be an interesting Railbox. You've got your common brown tint, and clean ribs. But what I notice is the powdery white substance on, beside, and above the "X" in "Railbox." Also appears to have a new(er) door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh- Thanks for the photos! I saved them instantly. I especially like the patched CSX box car and the Railbox.

uspscsx said:
Grande Man- Ahh yes, a Railbox: The weatherers best friend!

I touched up your photo so it doesn't look as dark. Hope you don't mind!

Not at all, it looks much better. :cool: There was another Railbox there that had a different lettering style and a lighter shade of yellow base color. Any ideas where that one came from? :) I've got some pics somewhere...

Your welcome Matt, I'll toss you some more after I get out again, I think I'll set up the resource site as soon as I can figure out the danged automated php picture posting... Its not to complex but there's no downloadable templates, but I know what I need...

uspscsx said:
http://www.mellowmike.com/FR8_Cars/Thumbnails_4.html

Mellow Mike's version of a Rio Grande hopper.

No, Matt

THIS is the model that comes closer to the proto pic Grande Man put up:

SNFF10064_A.jpg

Mike, that's incredible!!! A dead ringer for the Grande cement hopper I photoed in Wichita. FANTASTIC JOB! :cool:

Mellow-Mike- I used that link due to the fact that I didn't know if you were the type that says: "Lethal injection for all who repost my photos!"

Matt,

What I meant was - you linked people to my first DRGW centerflow - but the more recent one I did comes closer to Grande Man's proto pic. The Rio Grande logo in particular.

No Lethal Injection... but Donald Trump has two words for you.

Some more (btw Bob, like the bigger thumbnails!) Notice the tops of the tank cars have the road numbers on them...

More... The last pic is a bad pic, but it shows some interesting vent detail on the box. I'm working on running a picture wizard (makes thumbnails) and php picture page setup, so that I can make the freightcar modeling resource... I'll have to organize it and everything but... By next weekend i should have it running.

Sabine River and Northern sure is picking up a lot of junkers these days. Of course, you do see the occasional "clean" SRN boxcar. And, I don't know what they're hauling, but for an east Texas short line, they sure send their cars far and wide.

But I'll tell ya, it's those tank cars that have me most interested... You know, I saw nearly an entire train of those brand spankin' new UTLX tank cars with the yellow conspicuity striping today. And the rust patterns on those older LPG tanks - beautiful.

Nice work, Josh!

SRN Owns a fleet for lessors... Just one of those cycles, 10 years from now it'll be someone else. Down here we get alot of SRN, MR, & one other, smaller RR's...

Back