Proto 2000 UP Flatcar Kit

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
This is the first Proto 2000 kit I've built. It went together pretty easily and is nicely detailed. I decided to weather this one just to see how it might go. I'm pretty happy with it. Click on the pictures to see a larger image.

Forgot to add that this car has different slogans on each side.

Last edited:
Only flats I've ever really foamed over...those old 40' or 50' guys with the wood plank flooring. I honestly prefer seeing a string of say, 8-9 of them..... (empty, btw) moseying along a bucolic freight line at 8 MPH than any other make up of train, followed by one of those vertical-wood cabooses with the beveled cupola side windows..and the pot belly stove pipe....OK, may as well put a NYC heavy consolidation on the point...the one Bmann recently reissued they were such a success in 1:87 and 1:1 scales. That, the J3a and B&O y6b, are my 3 fav steam..RS 1 thru 3 fav diesels. All box cab electrics for traction, including of course, GG1...... Toss in the IngersolRand #10000, first diesel....love this stuff ! M

PS. 🚂I respect that the track in this scene being so pink-maroon-ish; all the rusting-oxidizing metals' dust settling and staining everything after rain has mixed in decade after decade when corrugated-sided shop was/or is active....cool .....

Last edited by a moderator:
In my early days of model railroading my flat cars never seem to stay on the track.

It's difficult to make a flat car heavy enough. I haven't weighed this one yet, but there is a large metal casting as the main part, so it seems pretty heavy. Adding a load is the best way to add weight to a flat car, but then they aren't empty anymore.

Nice looking model and I like the looks of the decking. Like MHinLA, I like to see strings of flat cars in a train going down the tracks. In my early days of model railroading my flat cars never seem to stay on the track.

Greg
Don't see why you needed to write the 3rd sentence. But reasons were probably overly tight truck pins (kingpin)/ screw..and/or wrong wheel gauge.

Back