Proto 2000 steam locomotive repair

Hello,

I just bought a Proto 2000 2-8-4 Berkshire from my local hobby shop. Pere Marquette 1209 from the Heritage Steam Collection.

When I run it on my layout, it makes this audible clicking noise. Normally with Proto 2000 diesel engines, it means a cracked gear. Normally a very easy repair using Athearn gears.

Is that the same problem with Proto steam? I assume it isn't as easy to repair? Should I take it back to the shop and try to exchange it for a different one? Should I find someone professional to repair it?

I'm not sure what to do in this situation. I would fix it myself, but I don't want to ruin the model even more.

Update 8/21/2020:

I called my local hobby shop last Sunday 8/16/2020 and they said I could return it for store credit towards something else. I go in the following Tuesday, and I was able to exchange it. In return, I got a Rapido RDC Budd car in Reading livery for an even exchange.

Last edited:
Was it bought off consignment or used? If it's new, it's either under warranty or the store should allow you to return it. I'd start with the shop first. No reason to spend additional money on something that you'd expect to be working on purchase, unless otherwise stated.

Was it bought off consignment or used? If it's new, it's either under warranty or the store should allow you to return it. I'd start with the shop first. No reason to spend additional money on something that you'd expect to be working on purchase, unless otherwise stated.
It was not on consignment. It was from their case of engines and it was the last one they had.

It was not on consignment. It was from their case of engines and it was the last one they had.
If you paid full retail , I would return it. If it was on special or discount with a no return no refund disclaimer ,well now you why. I m not sure where you would find a gear for it , its looks to me as if its 10 years + since they were made ?

If it was bought new from a shop, normally the factory warranty would still cover it. In fact if you were to attempt repairs yourself, that would void the warranty. Take it back and talk to them before doing anything. They may themselves be an authorised repair agent.

If you paid full retail , I would return it. If it was on special or discount with a no return no refund disclaimer ,well now you why. I m not sure where you would find a gear for it , its looks to me as if its 10 years + since they were made ?
I deal with them all the time, so they give me a discount on everything. I will talk to them on Monday

If it was bought new from a shop, normally the factory warranty would still cover it. In fact if you were to attempt repairs yourself, that would void the warranty. Take it back and talk to them before doing anything. They may themselves be an authorised repair agent.
I will try to give them a call tomorrow during my lunch break

It's a shame because, to me, it's a nice looking engine that would be perfect for what I need, if it weren't for this problem. I would like to keep it if it can be repaired. However, it looks like I may just have to take it back

From what I've seen on a Face Book page dedicated to engine remotoring, the steamers don't use gears on the multiple axles. They have a single shaft motor with a worm driving onto a larger diameter gear, at the rear of the wheel carraige/chassis and the driving rods are functional. Maybe there's a rod loose on a pivot screw allowing it to strike one next to it. If you can't get any satisfaction via the shop, I'm sure there's someone capable. But. The shop first. Always give them the opportunity.
The name of the group is Model Railroad Locomotive Re-motoring (Private Group), You'll have to apply to join to ask or comment.

I would check the crank pins , if they're loose the heads can slap the valve gear or rod and that will cause a clicking sound .

Steamer models are, for the past quite a few years, driven off of one driver axle. A worm shaft runs gears inside of a gear tower, and the lowest gear turns the only geared driver axle. Not perhaps in every case, but I think you'll find this to be the case. If you go on HO Seeker and look for an exlpoded diagramme, you'll know the answer in a jiffy.

Yes, it could be a cracked gear, but it could also just be one or more crank pins making contact with a churning rod or part of the valve linkage, maybe one of the rods is bent just enough that it makes that periodic click, as pointed out above. You'll have to invert the loco and tender on a cradle, apply power to the tender's wheels or pickups, get some speed dialed in, and see what happens with your eyes directly overhead both sides of the loco's outer drive system.

Back