Proto 2000 SD60

Has anyone had any experience installing sound decoders in Proto 2000 SD60's, or do you have any good resources where I can get some help doing this?
I've recently purchased the 2 DEMO SD60's, 1 & 4, and I would love to install sound in them.

I haven't yet, but I think the main thing is that you probably will have to machine out some of the weight inside to fit a speaker. Many folks like the Intervox 20mm x 40mm oval, which means grinding off a lot of the rear of the weight. Seems like folks prefer the sound to escape out the radiator fan area.

You could cram a round speaker inside the cab, probably, but that ruins the interior. And, I don't know how that would affect the front headlight.

Kennedy

As Kennedy says you have to machine out some of the huge weight as it more or less fills every gap in the shell,,,VERY nice loco's though, i have three SD60's, two Oakways and a Norfolk Southern. They WILL pull anything you put behind them

Steve B said:
They WILL pull anything you put behind them

Great!, thats what I wanted. Later I'm going to buy two more DEMO's both number 4 and renumber them 2 & 3. then I'll have the complete set of the Demonstrators. Then I'll have the ultimate pulling power!:D

I have two Oakways, a KCS, and a couple of EMDs. Most have a decoder in them, but not sound ones. Mainly because I don't have a setup that will easily mill off the weight.

Some folks just use a huge Mill file, some use a cutter. I'm thinking about a high-speed cutting wheel to make things quick.

Kennedy

You could use the large Fiberglas-reinforced wheels for the Dremel; I found some at a hardware store that was some other brand than Dremel, but were of a larger diameter. They were pricier as well, but would seem to be better suited for cutting lots of metal.

I'm more of a mind to use a mid-sized angle grinder with a 5" cutting wheel on the end. That should make short work of the main cut; use the Dremel to finish.

Kennedy

I have another question for owners of Proto 2000 SD60's.
Did your headlight of your SD60 burn out when you installed a decoder in it? mine just flashed quick and then was burn out.

Yes, they're 1.5v lights. You'll need to replace them, unless your decoder is the Digitrax DH163LO, which I believe has a dropping resistor for the lights built-in.

Kennedy

Last night I got my first chance to run my two SD60's, and oh man those things pull! I was pulling a 40 car train up a 3% or 4% grade, without any trouble at all. I love those loco's! :D :D

David, you are blessed, i can't run my trains at present due to a big gap in the railroad, here's my SD60's
96737178.gif

I don't even have a layout. The only reason I can run my SD60's is because I go to my club every wednesday. By the way, thats an awesome looking layout!

I was digging around the workbench the other day and found those cutting disks that I mentioned in a previous post. They are fibreglass reinforced cutting disks, 1-3/4" diameter, 1/32" thick. They fit the Dremel shank (1/8" hole) and comes with steel washers.

Brand is Gyros Precision Tools of Monsey NY. The disks I bought are for hardened and unhardened steel, steel alloys, hard bronze. Two disks for $4.50 at the local hardware store.

Haven't tried them yet, but this size might be good to cut down the rear weight of P2K locos.

Kennedy

I have 2 of the P2K SD60M's and 2 of the SD60's. They indeed are nice locos. I have trouble with the 60M's derailing on my helix, when none of my other locos, including the SD60's do. Upon close inspection it appears that the leading axle on the leading truck runs "light". It doesn't matter if the units are running forward or backward. By the way, my helix is a 2.5% grade and 26 1/2" radious.

Has anyone else experiences that problem or fixed it?

Back