Proto 2000 GP38-2 Issues

TC2blue

I have a Proto 2000 GP38-2 that I installed a Digitrax DH165LO decoder in.
It’s having issues jerking/running sluggish in low speeds [especially in reverse] When increasing the speed it will hardly move.
I took it apart and clean the gears, made sure they weren’t split, lubed and made sure everything was moving freely but only slightly better.
I recommend I replace the motor because the original might have a dead spot, so I tried 2 new motors with no luck.
I contacted Digitrax and they had me do a decoder reset and suggested I clean the pickups, which I did. Double checked all the wiring.
Still Nothing changed
I do have another GP38-2 which after decoder install runs great.
Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? or would know what might be causing this? Thanks

Done both -
Here is what I have done/tried so far -
- I have took it apart clean and re lubed all gears and bearings [I have had to replace gears in a few of my other proto’s] tried both motors, cleaned the pick ups, installed 2 different decoders [Digitrax DH165LO] & just tried a hard wired NCE
- replaced Both sets of wires from the pick ups, wired the decoder up without lights, and hook the motors up using a 9V battery and everything ran smooth,
I also did the reset on the DH165LO decoder, still nothing got any better.
It was running a bit but very jerky, but lately even it’s worse. Doesn’t even move until my the power cab gets up to 30-40’s and then is was jerky [made sure all the CV’s are set correctly]
I have no idea what to do next, I don’t want to spend a ton on it but really would like to get it running

I think Willie is close if not correct with his diagnosis with the dirty wheels. Try wheel cleaning next on your list.

If dirty wheels is not the reason for the troublesome operation, check the gauge of the wheel-sets with a NMRA wheel gauge. If one or more of the wheel-sets is out of gauge this will cause problems like you're explaining. I had out of gauge wheel-sets on at least two Athearn and Proto locomotives. Minor adjustments solved the problems.

Greg

I think Willie is close if not correct with his diagnosis with the dirty wheels. Try wheel cleaning next on your list.

If dirty wheels is not the reason for the troublesome operation, check the gauge of the wheel-sets with a NMRA wheel gauge. If one or more of the wheel-sets is out of gauge this will cause problems like you're explaining. I had out of gauge wheel-sets on at least two Athearn and Proto locomotives. Minor adjustments solved the problems.

Greg
cleaned wheels and wheels where set to correct gauge, still the same

There maybe binding in one of the truck gear towers. Try disasembling each one and clean and reasemble and see what happens. Sometimes there 's a small gear that moves out of place and causes binding in the gear movement.

Hope you can solve the problem.

Greg

Hi Greg
I have done that a couple times now, but I appreciate all the tips
I will try anything at this point, The Walther's tech said to make sure all 6 bushing are lubed good.
I did the 2 on each side of the worm gears, but I not finding the other 2 he's referring too.
Thanks, T.C.

Even if I have tried 2 different decoders?
only if you want it fixed :) EVEN in that case

In 2009 I had a problem that displayed similar symptoms, had suggestions
to "clean wheels", "defective decoder", "reset decoder", "lubricate" etc
but nothing worked until I was put on track to BEMF.

You can find my frustrations with it by searching for "F7B DCC won't move".
Around message 19 is where I started to make some gains.

good luck with it ,,, ken

only if you want it fixed :) EVEN in that case

In 2009 I had a problem that displayed similar symptoms, had suggestions
to "clean wheels", "defective decoder", "reset decoder", "lubricate" etc
but nothing worked until I was put on track to BEMF.

You can find my frustrations with it by searching for "F7B DCC won't move".
Around message 19 is where I started to make some gains.

good luck with it ,,, ken
I was sure hoping that was it, but I checked the NCE decoder and CV 57 is set to zero

I was sure hoping that was it, But with the NCE decoder in I checked CV57 and it was set to =0. I didn't try both, but would think if one of them didn't change the problem it would be the same for the other. Thanks Ken, will keep searching T.C.

I'm not familiar with Digitrax decoders, so I looked it up. I see it say it's a "sound bug' only 8 pin decoder, but in the prior to last reply you mention an NCE decoder, which are all silent.. The Proto 2000 locos I'm familiar with if they have plug & play capability have both the 8 pin socket and the 9 pin adapter on a short wiring tail. If you use the 8 pin socket, you must remove the small DC board from the 9 pin tail i.e. unplug and discard.

Have you done that?

I was sure hoping that was it, But with the NCE decoder in I checked CV57 and it was set to =0. I didn't try both, but would think if one of them didn't change the problem it would be the same for the other. Thanks Ken, will keep searching T.C.
Set CV66 and CV95 to 255. That is the forward and reverse trim settings. Also, set CV6 to 0. At this point, I don't think it's a decoder issue, but changing those settings is free, versus replacing a motor or trucks.

Set CV66 and CV95 to 255. That is the forward and reverse trim settings. Also, set CV6 to 0. At this point, I don't think it's a decoder issue, but changing those settings is free, versus replacing a motor or trucks.
I agree I don’t think it’s the decoder either with trying 2 different ones, 1 plug in and 1 hard wired but I give those other settings a try

I'm not familiar with Digitrax decoders, so I looked it up. I see it say it's a "sound bug' only 8 pin decoder, but in the prior to last reply you mention an NCE decoder, which are all silent.. The Proto 2000 locos I'm familiar with if they have plug & play capability have both the 8 pin socket and the 9 pin adapter on a short wiring tail. If you use the 8 pin socket, you must remove the small DC board from the 9 pin tail i.e. unplug and discard.

Have you done that?
I tried a Digitrax DH 165LO plug in, and the latest is a NCE hard wired decoder same issues with both, I what your talking about have done that of some of my other Proto installs,

I did those changes to the CV’s and forward went super fast and reverse would not go until my NCE power cab was up around 30-40 and just jumped. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks T.C.

Back