projects and more projects

Have you had the issue where you really, really want to do a project, yet you have to complete several projects just to get to the point of starting the one you want?

Getting the garage clean was a giant leap forward to doing any and all other projects. I am about 85-90% complete there. Just a few more issues to finish and I will be done, for now.

I want to start building my bench work for my layout. Yet to start that I need my table saw out and running. It also has my built in router table in one of the side tables. To get that done I need to make a new mobile base for the table saw. To make the mobile base, I need a saw that will cut metal. Not really looking forward to using a sawzall to make all of those cuts. Just found out tonight while out there cleaning up I need a new 4 1/2" grinder, mine is sort of melted.

If I make a new mobile base for the table saw, I may as well make new tables, they have seen their better days. If I do that than I will also build the extension table for the out feed side of the table saw.

As I was out contemplating how to attack this, I found out as soon as the table saw is free and up and running i need to build the cabinet in the kitchen where the fridge goes, plus the (2) roll out small cabinet draws for the cookie sheets and flat stuff. Oh and while I was at it, I was informed I would also need to build the last cabinet for the kitchen that is where the trash can goes, it to is a roll out shelf with a fake cabinet door on the face. If I get the cabinets built that means I get to paint the cabinets the color because right now they are just primer color.

I was shown that when I get the cabinets all done I can then put in the bamboo flooring.

So, it looks like I get to do about 5 years of honey doo's before I can even cut a board for my layout. Not that I mind working on the kitchen, just when do I get to have fun in the clean garage?

It seems that one small accomplishment has me in a list of things to do that would choke a horse. I should just go back to bed :)

You have this happen to you?

All I wanted was a small layout i could mess with, never knew it would lead to all of this.

Does not look like i will ever be bored :)

Buzz.

I also need to clean out my garage before I can start my RR. As I write this I'm looking out the window and I realize that the weeds are starting to take over and I need to move a pile of rocks to the front yard. Hey kids......... Now to the garage. ;-)

Have I ever had this issue? It's my life! I make a list at the start of the year (pick any year) of projects to do, I get to December and I did all sorts of thinks, but maybe one on the list. Now new year, new list, no SAME list PLUS several new items to do. How do you guys that have these first rate layouts ever get them to that point, I'll never know.

Yes indeed, I've lived that -- which may be why I'm in my mid-50s and only *now* getting started on a layout... Sometimes I think it's a variation on ADHD...

All I wanted was a small layout i could mess with, never knew it would lead to all of this.

Buzz.
I solved the problem by selling the hobby farm, and going out of business.

Now, I work for the government and we rent a house in town. The renting really cut down on the honey do list, and the gov't job took all the hours out of my work day. Took most of the satisfaction out of work, too, unfortunately.

So much for the American dream. Well, at least I have time for my hobby.

logandsawman

Ya need to include glue in all of your projects. That way, while the glue is setting up you can go do your railroad stuff.

An appropriate epitaph for most of us, no matter how long we live, would be "One of these days I've got to get organized!" :rolleyes:

Well I need to get my truck road worthy again. So that I guess will be the first part for the extended project :) It seems I opened Pandora's box with cleaning the garage. Some how or another a potting bench has been put in the mix along with more pots and plants. How did I get this added to the kitchen list :confused: There is talk about replacing the back fence, welding up a new trellis, up dating the office, repainting the living room, wait, wait, wait. How did all of this come about from just cleaning the garage??????

I do not have a honey do list, it is a giant scroll that takes two men and a boy to move.

All sorts of things have come out of the wood work. Things I had not heard of. Looks like I will be doing almost everything BUT my little 4x8.

I am worn out from just hearing about the work I have a head of me.

Buzz.

Several years ago I bought a house that was built in 1920. Little did I realize that the upstairs needed to be gutted and rebuilt. About $60K later, I'd torn up the kitchen for the third time. It seemed like every project upstairs required something to be done in the kitchen either first or along the way.

I could go on for hours about that darned house!

I am worn out from just hearing about the work I have a head of me.

Buzz.

That's why I have opted for cremation, otherwise I'm sure there'll be a motion detector attached to an audio device in the coffin that will play the list of things I didn't get done. The only consolation, if my wishes got overturned, would be that hopefully the only thing/s to move would be the worms and they don't have ears.

Railrunner130;315185 I'd torn up the kitchen for the third time. It seemed like every project upstairs required something to be done in the kitchen either first or along the way. [/QUOTE said:
Even as renters, my wife wanted to do a bunch of stuff to the kitchen. Unfortunately, it is big enough so some junk could be added. Drat.

Makes me think of a joke about getting old. Goes something like this.

Get up in the morning and go to get a cup of coffee at the coffee shop. looking for the keys (can't find for the life of me) I run into my checkbook and realize I need to pay bills. So I sit down to pay bills then I'm taking them out to the mail box and I realized the grass needs cut. So I set down the mail as I pull out the lawn mower and see it needs gas. So going to the shed I to get the gas can I realized the garden needs watered. As I started watering I noticed the water isn't working so I go to the basement to see if the valve is open. There I find my pile of clothes next to the washer. So I start to do the wash and I see I'm out of soap. So off to the store I need to go. I remember I needed some other things from the kitchen so I open the fridge and see the milk and think how nice it would be to have some coffee... getting old, ya gotta love it. The funny thing is my day is like this but non-stop.
Dave

Funny how a simple things has created so much work. We picked up the paint today for cabinets, I have 3 to paint and set, than the rest of the kitchen to clean and paint. For some reason we also had 3 bags of potting soil? This can mean only one thing. She wants a potting bench built. AAAARRRGGGHH I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

By the time I am able to get to "my" train stuff it will be cold in the garage. So that means putting in backing and than hanging new insulated doors plus getting a nice propane heater out there. That means running a new propane line into the garage. DAMN, more projects before I get to my bench work.

It is better than sitting in front of the TV all day wasting away.

Oh well, it should be fun to get a few things done around here.

Buzz.

Funny how a simple things has created so much work...

Buzz.

Tell me about it. After painting my daughter's bedroom to be, and replacing all the ceiling tiles in the suspended ceiling, wife was impressed with the simple cutting of a few tiles. She now views me as a master carpenter. (Oh, Lordy!):p

Now we're to paint the downstairs den, and pull down the old stapled ceiling and replace that with a suspended ceiling, and special lighting. Then she wants to put another suspended ceiling in the garage, over the layout with better lighting. I don't mind this but why now, all of a sudden, does she want to do all this? She should have let me put the damn thing in before I started this layout. Then she said, we didn't have the money. I asked do we now, and all I got was a blank stare for my trouble. I can't win for losing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the kitchen remodel came about by replacing the stove. It was all new and shiny and she said and I quote! " you are NOT putting that pretty stove in my UGLY kitchen" So, we ended up tearing out everything down to the bare studs. Re wired, re-plumbed, re-dry walled, re EVERYTHING!!!! All that is left of this are the 3 cabinet I will paint this weekend, two I have to build, 14 feet of butcher block top and 1 small prep sink. We have all the other stuff all ready. OOOHH what a layout I could have built with the money in the kitchen.

One good repair will lead to a life time of projects.

Buzz.

8221_zps12799ea4.png

Back