Programming CVs with a Digitrax Controller.

Brakeman Hal

I want to reduce the sound volume on my O-Scale 2-Rail MTH GP-35, because it's extremely loud even when my train is 35 feet away!

I go to the sound CV, which is number 58 in my DCS52 DCC controller and follow the instructions in the Digitrax manual, but the sound volume isn't reduced.

I do this on the main track, which has only one locomotive.

Hal

Last edited:
F7 will cycle through all nine volume levels on a MTH..
there is no CV for sound level on a MTH loco, sorry ..
MTH only supports a very limited number of CVs, i -think- only ten ?
ps.. you have to read the manual on the LOCO, not the controller for this ..

Last edited:
I didn't know that, wvg_ca, so I guess I'll wear ear protection from that powerful audio amplifier that MTH installed in that engine!

Brakeman Hal

Toggle through the F7 button on your throttle. The sound will grow louder with each push then start at 1, the lowest volume again and work up.

Often, as has been offered to you, Hal, the decoder suppliers design the sound volume to be handy-modified using one of the Function Keys on the paddle. Paragon decoders in BLI's HO scale locomotives use F7, if I recall correctly, for that purpose. The model defaults to "Jaysus, I'm at a heavy metal concert!" upon startup, but if you press F7 once, twice, three times, you should hear the sound level drop noticeably.

Or, the decoder's manual, downloadable from MTH's website...mebbe...?...will have instructions on reducing the overall volume of the system in 'Master Volume'. You set that volume to somewhere near the 50% mark in assigned values range, and then you can adjust individual sounds like chuff, horn, blowdown, air pumps, and so on up or down to suit your ears and tolerance.

There are no buttons on my Digitrax Zephyr DCS52 controller's throttle!

Hal
sure there are, on the left hand side of the unit ... use the function button seven ..
ZephyrExpress_website_image_jpg_2000x2000_q85.jpg

As the picture of my Digitrax DCS52 shows, there are EIGHTEEN buttons, none of which are on the throttle!

The Throttle is the rotating control on the right side of the unit, which goes from stop to full speed as it is turned clockwise.

See?
Hal

Hey Ken...

The throttle is shown on the right side of my Digitrax DCS52 Controller. See the picture?

And yes, I have the Operator's Manual for the Controller and also the manual for Programming the Decoder.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
Often, as has been offered to you, Hal, the decoder suppliers design the sound volume to be handy-modified using one of the Function Keys on the paddle. Paragon decoders in BLI's HO scale locomotives use F7, if I recall correctly, for that purpose. The model defaults to "Jaysus, I'm at a heavy metal concert!" upon startup, but if you press F7 once, twice, three times, you should hear the sound level drop noticeably.

Or, the decoder's manual, downloadable from MTH's website...mebbe...?...will have instructions on reducing the overall volume of the system in 'Master Volume'. You set that volume to somewhere near the 50% mark in assigned values range, and then you can adjust individual sounds like chuff, horn, blowdown, air pumps, and so on up or down to suit your ears and tolerance.
That's just what I'm complaining about, Selector...the decoder's CV58 does not respond to different values...and what's a Paddle?

I was able to adjust the overall volume of all sounds when I was using an MTH DCS Controller, but not with the Digitrax DCC!

Here's my setup for calibrating the synchronization of the Telescope's Polar Drive to sync with the Rotation of the Earth, so images would appear stationary.

Hal
225.JPG

Last edited:
The only O gauge GP35 I can find is Protosound 2. If that's what you have, there should be a volume pot on the board, which you adjust with a small screwdriver.

My GP35 also has a volume pot on the board under the engine top cover, but it has no effect. I'm using an MTH loco with a digitrax DCC controller. The engine has Protosound 3.

Hal

Hal, you're correct, the Zephyr has no paddle...my bad. If the manual for the decoder suggests that the master volume can be reduced from factory defaults, and what you do in response, and by following the instructions of the Zephyr, doesn't produce a response, I think your decoder is faulty or the Zephyr is faulty. However, the Zephyr probably will reduce Master Volume of other non-DCS decoders....yes? If it does, then you KNOW the DCS decoder is the one not playing nice. And that would be in keeping with all the complaints about MTH and its foray into the HO world from Day One.

Direct from Digitrax' website:

Zephyr Express Set Includes:

• DCS52 All-In-One Throttle/Command Station/Booster to run your layout
  • PS314 Power supply to provide power to run your DCS52
  • One LT1 LocoNet Cable & Decoder Test Kit
  • Zephyr Express Quickstart Guide
  • Zephyr Express Manual
  • Digitrax Decoder Manual

And with that, I'm done trying to help your complaining, hair-splitting butt. Have a nice life.
Thanks, Burlington Northern Santa Fe 971! I've already enjoyed 84 years of my life, Thank you!

I'll now return to my other interests!
Hal
065.jpg
177.JPG

Last edited:

Back