Problem with Digitrax DN163K0b Decoder

Curtis

I installed the Digitrax DN163K0b decoder in a new Kato F3 A-Unit this morning and all I’m getting is the buzzing sound like when you run a loco without a decoder. The loco runs fine but it doesn’t seem to function like the decoder is installed in it.

The three previous installations in the units before it all went smoothly and they are all operating great. I don’t understand what’s going wrong with this installation.:confused:

I’ve checked it three times now and even read the directions (go figure). Any ideas??? Can the decoders go bad during shipping somehow like if they get a magnet to close to them or something?

Any help would be great. I hate it when I get a new toy and then can't play with it.:mad:

Curtis said:
The loco runs fine but it doesn’t seem to function like the decoder is installed in it.

Is the loco reponding to the Digitrax throttle? Is the noise the only problem?

It responds just as if it didn’t have a decoder installed. It goes forward and reverse but I can’t control the light or get it to respond on the program track. It acts as if it has the original blank board installed.

Curtis said:
It responds just as if it didn’t have a decoder installed. It goes forward and reverse but I can’t control the light or get it to respond on the program track. It acts as if it has the original blank board installed.

First off, reset the decoder to factory default. Test to see if it then runs correctly with the 03 address. If it does not, it could be defective.

Thanks Larry, resetting the decoder worked. Out of five installations that I was doing that was the only one that had to be reset. I was banging my head against the wall. I appreciate the help.

Glad it worked. I been in the same position myself with a new decoder just outof the bag.

Back