Priority Mail Prices

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
All Shipping Prices went up today. Priority $10.95 box went up to $11.35 & some are higher. Parcel Post had a good spike too. Delivery Conf. also went up from 5 cents to 15 cents, depending on where it's going. International rates had the biggest jump. One woman at the post office was mailing a flat envelope to the Phillipines & the last time it was $11.00 & this time it was $16.95. So, start checking before you ship something.:eek:

Current prices from the USPS website
Priority mail flat rate boxes (domestic):
Large (either shape) $15.45
Medium (either shape) $11.35
Small $5.35

Cost me $20.35 to ship an MTH 2-8-0 from Ohio to Minnesota w/tracking, and to think I gave the guy free shipping! lol

Honestly, I don't know why folks complain about the Postal Services rates. They are far lower than other countries and the service for the most part is great. I haven't had any issues, problems and the Priority Mail is still the best around, especially if you can use the USPS PM boxes.

Just my .03 cents worth at the current rate of inflation.

Honestly, I don't know why folks complain about the Postal Services rates. They are far lower than other countries and the service for the most part is great. I haven't had any issues, problems and the Priority Mail is still the best around, especially if you can use the USPS PM boxes.

Just my .03 cents worth at the current rate of inflation.

I wasn't complaining. Just letting everyone know that the prices went up.
I sent a box last week to Calif. that was way over what I told the guy it was, because I thought the box I was shipping it in was a priority box & it was a flat rate box w/priority lettering on it. The box was a $10.95 box & it cost me almost $16.00 to ship it. OH Well. Good Customer.

Compared to UPS all of the USPS flat rate prices except the large box are cheaper. Base price for UPS to a residential address is around $14.00 and goes up by weight and by distance and can also include what they call a "rural delivery charge" in some areas. Also the boxes are free at your post office. To use another shipper you have to recycle a box you have or buy one either from an office supply store or from the shipper themselves. Every town has a post office but not every town has a UPS or Fedex store.

I've had no problems with either UPS or the USPS and use both depending on the size of what I am shipping.

FYI, stamps are going up later this year also.

ALL postage(stamps, packages, extra services) is now planned to have a small yearly increase every year due to the financial trainwreck the USPS is. I got this info from my mother who works for USPS. As always this is subject to change, but USPS had made it clear already that stamps will go up 1-2 cents a year for the forseeable future.

ALL postage(stamps, packages, extra services) is now planned to have a small yearly increase every year due to the financial trainwreck the USPS is. I got this info from my mother who works for USPS. As always this is subject to change, but USPS had made it clear already that stamps will go up 1-2 cents a year for the forseeable future.

I have, for a long time, even before the "trainwreck" of the postal service, said they should stop this "penny ante" they do and just increase the price of a stamp from $0.44 to $0.50 right away. What do they gain by penny-ing us to death? not much. They get caught up, them they are behind again.

I still like the USPS service. I get mail in cold hard paper delivered right to my door, along with certain packages on my door step. Nice to know that....my bank statement won't come UPS or FedEx..so I love love love the USPS!!!
:)

Uhh, Bill, they went up on Sunday. First Class is 45 cents now.

I have, for a long time, even before the "trainwreck" of the postal service, said they should stop this "penny ante" they do and just increase the price of a stamp from $0.44 to $0.50 right away. What do they gain by penny-ing us to death? not much. They get caught up, them they are behind again.

I believe you can blame the incremental increases on Congress.

I'm not complaining though because I think without the USPS to provide a cheap alternative, private mail costs would quickly go right through the roof.

What is this better service that you speak of? 99% of my packages from UPS arrive beat up (contents not damaged thankfully) as if they played football with my packages. FedEx likes to delay packages and deliver them late.

The post office, even though they can be slow sometimes, at least doesn't run my package through a wood chipper before delivering it to me. Since they all suck, I'd rather pay less for sucky service.

I have always thought that the USPS, despite all its financial issues, offers tremendous service and value for its prices. If you doubt that, just try to mail a letter in Europe domestically. Youll be in for a shock at what they pay...

The UPS and FedEx guys in my area have been pretty good although Ive heard some horror stories (and seen the ones on the news) of packages handled by the likes of Jim Carrey in the opening scene of Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_wGeErYTl8

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, I already know that if you mail something from the US to another country, it's less expensive than to mail something from there to here accounting for the exchange rate, with the exception of some countries like China.

What is this better service that you speak of? 99% of my packages from UPS arrive beat up (contents not damaged thankfully) as if they played football with my packages. FedEx likes to delay packages and deliver them late.

The post office, even though they can be slow sometimes, at least doesn't run my package through a wood chipper before delivering it to me. Since they all suck, I'd rather pay less for sucky service.

The better service I speak of is the local post office. Great people there and the boxes, labels, and sometimes the tape is free :D UPS beats stuff up, Fedex once claimed to deliver my package but it wasn't there on my doorstep. So I called them and they say "oh, we have it right here in the warehouse, the driver brought it back. We can have it back to you in 1 to 2 business days" I didn't want to wait the whole weekend, so I drove up there and picked it up.. USPS all the way man.

I have to ship Fed Ex and UPS all the time. Currently, both UPS and Fed EX have a surcharge for residential delivery as opposed to commercial delivery. UPS adds a fuel surtax. UPS charges you a major surcharge for "Oversize boxes". That size keeps getting smaller and smaller. The oversize charge is a fixed billable weight. That billable weight keeps going up at least once a year. Crawford Insurance, the hitmen that UPS ostensibly uses to process their claims automatically deny claims. I know of an instance where UPS lost a package for a friend. It was never recovered. Crawford still denied the claimants loss which amazed me.

The Post office is an absolutel steal on shipping boxes to either Hawaii or Alaska compared to the private carriers. Their priority boxes are also a steal compared to UPS or fed Ex.

Where else are you going to get a service which delivers to your mailbox every day for .44 cents an item?

But now, my dad's joke about the post office is that the cost of mailing a letter hasn't gone up in fifty years, but the price of storing it has skyrocketed...

Back