Pretty sad way to treat a train

John P

http://adevarul.ro/locale/suceava/l...r-vechi-1_520c5de7c7b855ff56db7ffc/index.html

646x404.jpg

Yes, I remember the dismay when I saw a picture of all the NZR "K" class locos lined up for scrapping. "Give ME one, pleeeease".

Obviously, they parked it in the wrong neighborhood and it was stripped for parts. Should have set the alarm on it. :rolleyes:

Just on a brighter note here are some before and after photos of a rogers 2-4-2

Attachments

• dump-site1.jpg
    dump-site1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 174
  • K-88-inmud.jpg
    K-88-inmud.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 182
  • k88_1.jpg
    k88_1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 180
Those "before and after" shots are amazing. I've always wondered how it is that a loco which has rusted and rotted for so long, can still be restored? Same with locos that have been burned in roundhouse fires, etc. Doesn't the heat damage the metal?

And just so you can see that down in NZ they don't just build Hobbit houses, they get them running again

[YOUTUBE]c02IYnQD8Jc[/YOUTUBE]

At the end for good measure are the 1930's NZ built Ka's also doing a double header.

I loved that Video Toots.

Ray I think they remake and replace a lot of the critical parts. Ive seen a spitfire being restored, by the time they were finished 70% of it would have been new metal.

I loved that Video Toots.

Ray I think they remake and replace a lot of the critical parts. Ive seen a spitfire being restored, by the time they were finished 70% of it would have been new metal.

Yes, it's a bit like the bloke that's got his grandfather's axe but "it's had 3 new heads and 5 new handles and chops wood like the day Grandad got it".

Same with locos that have been burned in roundhouse fires, etc. Doesn't the heat damage the metal?
On a lot of the metal parts, they do become distorted from heat. The boiler and firebox, though, normally operate at temperatures higher than the common house fire, so in most cases, simply cleaning it up is all that is needed.
Several times I have purchased engines and transmissions from trucks that had caught fire and burned to the ground. After cleaning, replacing gaskets, and painting, the components worked with no problems for years after.

Those "before and after" shots are amazing. I've always wondered how it is that a loco which has rusted and rotted for so long, can still be restored? Same with locos that have been burned in roundhouse fires, etc. Doesn't the heat damage the metal?

It depends on how hot the metal got and/or how deep the rust has penetrated. Samples of the metal can be taken and analyzed. A boiler will have to be pressure tested after being reassembled, and has to meet certain standards before being cleared for use.

Back