Powering Frogs?

D

dthurman

I am at the point now, with the occasional stall, of wiring my frogs, I am using Atals Code55 track (N Scale) and have Caboose Ind ground throws (non-power routing type) and have seen how-to's for using a slide switch, choke cable type setups etc, but have also seen posts on other forums about using a micro switch, but not any how-to's on the setup.

I would like to keep the current Caboose ground throws I have and use some type of switch/contact to route the rail to the frog. Anyone have any out of the box ideas I could try? Normally the stalls have been very few, but with those new Atals MP15's, the wheel base is pretty short, the engines are light as feathers, but fantastic runners that look even better, they tend to stall more often.

The Atlas turnouts have a small spade on the straight section by the from to solder to, so that isn't the problem. Mainly wondering what I could do to power them without ripping out the current setup.

Thanks

Suggestions for powering turnout frogs

:) Hello David. I don't know what type of wiring you have done up to this point but I would suggest you might use a cheap micro size double pole, double throw type switch and do some experimenting using an Atlas layout/ track wiring book available at most hobby stores. If you are using d.c.c., like me, I chose to use the Atlas "snap relays" ( wired per Atlas standard practice). That was in my earlier days when the layout did not use the Tortoise type slow motion machines I NOW employ. Fortunatly for me, they incorporate extra contacts that can be utilized to switch polarities of the frog as the points move from closed to thrown. If you eventually decide to go that route, and use a Tortoise machine set up , request via a Circuitron FAX machine, a copy of their "application note AN-6000-02 " for a detailed how to. Hope that will help ! Good luck with your track chores !!! Ray P.S. : Their old phone # used to be 815-886-9010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray

Thanks for replying, currently I am doing DC, but have plans in the works for DCC, with MRC and PCS decoders, I guess I am wanting to power route the frogs. I was thinking of some type of micro switch that was activated with some type of trip wire going down into the sub-base of the layout, similar to how a Tortoise machine would move the points, since I already have the capability to move the points with the Caboose ground throws. The layout is currently wired in blocks, so I can tap off the buss for the proper rail to power the frog, I am just curious if there is a certian type of switch I should use, how to mount it etc. I am using extruded blue foam as the layout base on a grid framework. I will also look into that "application note" also.

Thanks

OK! I'll bite :D Hi David withot any joking I'd have difficulty seeing close up let alone working on "N" scale track work.
There are several methods you could use, that are used in HO.
Two small "Shim brass pieces" cemented on the ties and connected to the frog. As a point rail is closed over one of them, contact is made and correct polarity is feed to the frog.
The SPDT micro switch is simpler, center contact to the frog and the the other contacts to the rails or power source.
Don't know if this is any help, or just another nutty idea
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
OK! I'll bite :D Hi David withot any joking I'd have difficulty seeing close up let alone working on "N" scale track work.
There are several methods you could use, that are used in HO.
Two small "Shim brass pieces" cemented on the ties and connected to the frog. As a point rail is closed over one of them, contact is made and correct polarity is feed to the frog.
The SPDT micro switch is simpler, center contact to the frog and the the other contacts to the rails or power source.
Don't know if this is any help, or just another nutty idea
Cheers Willis

Willis

Not a nutty idea at all, that is the type of "out of the box" ideas I am hoping for. I am leaning towards a micro switch idea, but haven't been able to visualize how to go about it. Like I said, I want to keep the Caboose throws. Internet was down here all morning, think I will hit the Radio Shack web site and see what those switches look like.

Back