Power comes to Tootsville !!!

On the subject of "tricks." I've used this a few times but its now worn out.
Conversation goes something like;
" Bought a new engine today."
"How much did it cost?"
"1200 dollars." says I......
"$ TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!" Says she.
after a pause.... "oh I meant $300........"
"Ah, oh oh that's better"

At that point leave the scene immediately before the penny drops......

The thingies are of course glass insulators as those in the photo are power poles, transformers and all. When I was a kid in the early 50's power had only just a arrived in that portion of rural America. However prior to power poles were telephone poles and before those telegraph poles. I think they just added power lines to the existing telephone poles, at least at the start. If I were to make these, I would 3D print the whole arm with the insulators attached, especially in a small scale such as N. HO, maybe one could add separate ones that weren't too overscale.

We always called them telephone poles!

Last edited:
I've used glass beads attached with a pin to the side of a round "telegraph pole." HO scale. I've found some real small brass (colored) pins. Your getting down to such a small size that a drop of glue is starting to look out of scale.

Things so far:

ksyMNVd.jpg

tgXbCkn.jpg

Have the Power Poles glued in place and ready for the linesmen to come in and put up the wires :)

Not sure when they will be available as I am still in two minds whether to restore this layout and be able to run it or to leave it be. If I restore it, I wont put the wire/line up until the new track work has been done.

Back