post war Lionel 2025, No reverse?

Runs well in forward but has no reverse, any help here?
Does it cycle through the normal direction changes and reverse is just missing (like another neutral)? Does it not cycle? Or do both motion cycles go forward?

If it is the first (reverse missing) then I would suspect a wire from the direction changer (Called an E-unit) to the field coils (electro magnets) is missing or broken.
If it doesn't cycle the direction changer might be burnt out or have a broken wire to its coil. OR the manual change lever/lock is broken and preventing it from cycling properly.
If the third I would guess someone has rewired it wrong and both sides of the field coil are hooked straight to the track so they don't flip polarity.

Disclaimer - I did not look up this unit in a repair manual. I have assumed it is a traditionally wired 2-6-2 or 2-6-4 type, and made corresponding general trouble shooting ideas. The number on the keystone on the boiler front will be either 2025 or 5690 which will help indicate which variation of the model you have. I believe "2025" was produced from 1946 until 1952 so there are several variables.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like someone was monkeying with the wiring to it. I don't have a schematic for this or know where to find one. Thanks for your help IH. Mike.

It looks like someone was monkeying with the wiring to it. I don't have a schematic for this or know where to find one. Thanks for your help IH. Mike.
There is a schematic on this page ... ... Nope nope nope that is the "with" whistle schematic. Um do an internet search for Lionel E-unit and hunt through the hits for the proper one for your unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back