The ever changing HO scale layout

Finally worked up the courage to start the sternwheeler for the river scene portion of the layout, today. I hope that you all have had a good weekend!

IMG_20140824_183251.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary,

That looks like it is going to be a great looking boat! There is something romantic about river boats and the era in which they existed. Looking forward to watching your progress on this project.

Gary,

That looks like it is going to be a great looking boat! There is something romantic about river boats and the era in which they existed. Looking forward to watching your progress on this project.

Thank you much, Mr. Tony. I do appreciate your positive words. I've been scared to start this one for some time now and finally worked up the courage today. I agree with you completely concerning the romanticism. It must have been something really special, for those folks back then, to witness steam boats and steam trains within such close proximity.

Oh wow, I can't wait to see this river boat build completed. That is going to make one impressive addition to your layout.
By the way, now is the time to drill a hole or two in the bottom of the boat. Not to sink it, but just to allow for installing interior lights in the boat if you so decide at some time in the future.

...By the way, now is the time to drill a hole or two in the bottom of the boat. Not to sink it, but just to allow for installing interior lights in the boat if you so decide at some time in the future.

Oh yeah! Can you picture how she would look all lit up at night - would be breath taking! You gotta do that Gary.

If you ever need some inspiration and encouragement while building this riverboat, go to this site, picture gallery 2, sub gallery 3 "River Front" and check out the paddle steamer there.
http://magnoliaroute.com/magnolia_route_007.htm

After that (and when you've got about 20 years to spare), check out the rest as well.

Mr. Toot, your are right on! Mr. Cliff Powers' layout has been a HUGE inspiration. Back when I had a facebook - I followed his page and we typed back and forth a few times. He does amazing work and he has a HEAP of photos with good descriptions on there if anyone has a facebook - give his page a follow. The riverboat that I'm building is the exact brand and size of the one that he built.

Oh wow, I can't wait to see this river boat build completed. That is going to make one impressive addition to your layout.
By the way, now is the time to drill a hole or two in the bottom of the boat. Not to sink it, but just to allow for installing interior lights in the boat if you so decide at some time in the future.

Thank you so much for the kind words and tip on the drilling, Mr. Jim. That is a great idea and I'll definitely need to figure that out for sure! Mister Cliff Powers drilled his smoke stacks out for smoke but I hear that that smoke stuff can be messy on a layout. Your lights idea, though, sounds like a real plan!

Toot, I checked out your link to the Magnolia Route website. That's an incredible layout. The riverfront scene and the huge scratch built passenger station are amazing.
Gary, I'm on Facebook, but couldn't find Cliff Power's page. If you were still on Facebook, I guess I could have sent you a friend request and then found the page though your "friends" or "Likes". I'm glad you decided to allow for lighting on the riverboat. I will let others with more experience provide suggestions for what lighting products to use. In the small confined spaces on that riverboat you don't want to use lighting that could generate too much heat and become a fire hazard. The windows on the riverboat are too small to worry about detailing the interior, but painting the interior walls wouldn't hurt so that the lighting doesn't expose bare wood through the windows. The main considerations when building for operational lighting are to make sure there are no gaps at wall and ceiling joints that will allow light to escape. If and plastic parts are involved, the back sides would need to be painted so that light doesn't show through the plastic. As you build the boat, try to determine if some parts of the assembly can be left un-glued such that parts could be removed to allow access to the lighting for maintenance.
Good luck. Sorry I created extra work for you.

Toot, I checked out your link to the Magnolia Route website. That's an incredible layout. The riverfront scene and the huge scratch built passenger station are amazing.
Gary, I'm on Facebook, but couldn't find Cliff Power's page. If you were still on Facebook, I guess I could have sent you a friend request and then found the page though your "friends" or "Likes".

My dad is still on there (we have the same name) but I deactivated my account. I may sign back in to it after all. My sister lives in California and it was a good way to keep up with her. here is the link to the Magnolia Route layout facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mississippi-Alabama-Gulf-Railroad/607000895983922

I'm glad you decided to allow for lighting on the riverboat. I will let others with more experience provide suggestions for what lighting products to use. In the small confined spaces on that riverboat you don't want to use lighting that could generate too much heat and become a fire hazard. The windows on the riverboat are too small to worry about detailing the interior, but painting the interior walls wouldn't hurt so that the lighting doesn't expose bare wood through the windows. The main considerations when building for operational lighting are to make sure there are no gaps at wall and ceiling joints that will allow light to escape. If and plastic parts are involved, the back sides would need to be painted so that light doesn't show through the plastic. As you build the boat, try to determine if some parts of the assembly can be left un-glued such that parts could be removed to allow access to the lighting for maintenance.
Good luck. Sorry I created extra work for you.

Thank you so much for the tips. I really appreciate all the help I can get. I'm definitely going to give it a cautious go as I don't want to burn the place down.

Well, i reckon i've been away long enough. It's time for me to get back after it. It stinks when life gets in the way of the fun stuff. Not much has happened to the layout in the months that have passed. I'll post some photos in the next few days. I hope that you each are well fed and well rested!

Glad to hear from you!! looking forward to the photos!

Thank you so much, logandsawman! I've tried to upload a photo but it keeps coming in upside down (or maybe it's downside up). I even tried rotating the photo before uploading but same thing. I'll try again tomorrow. the bench-work is now 8' x 18'.

Attachments

• 20150803_203451.jpg
    20150803_203451.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 242
Looks the right way up to me :confused::)

HA!!! Toot, you really got me with that one. My perspective is all wrong - that's all. I wish I were down your way about now. It's way too hot here in Alabama. I hope that all is well with you and I've missed your quick wit.

Oh great! Both you and Tony (Wombat457) both are back to work on your layouts (the two layouts I have followed most closely on this forum). You've even found a way to store your layout out of the way up on the ceiling of your garage. I guess this puts the pressure on me to get back to work on my own layout which I haven't touched in a year.

HA, Mr. Jim! It's been almost a year for me too. It's time for us to get back after it; however, I'm back to square 1 (yet again) while you and Mr. Tony are a heap farther along than I will be for some time.

Back