Poor Man's Trains - My new project

KB02

Posted this in the video section, but thought I might get a few more views (and opinions) here. :)

Been playing with some video editing software on one of my latest projects. Let me know what you think!

I enjoyed the video and I think it's a great idea to show how to upgrade the old locomotive. I have rebuilt some old Tyco locomotives because they are important to me, not for economical reasons, but for sentimental reasons.

The production aspect of your video is great and looks professional. The only problem for me was it was hard to understand what you were saying at the beginning and the end of the video with the background music. I have a hearing loss, but I could understand you very well with no background music.

Thanks for sharing it!

Nice video, well done. Enjoyed it a lot. It did bring back a lot of memories of when I started my layout over 30 years ago. As the layout was being builf, I had custom painted and detailed arounf 6 blue box locomotives. As many know, the perfromance is not the best. They would surge coing down grade and really lug down going up grade. The in the 80's I believe that Atlas brought out their line of Alco RS units with the Kato drive. After reading reviews of them in model railroad magazines I thought I would give one a try. What a difference. I was so impressed with them that I ended up with a dozen of them which I custom painted for my freelance railroad.

Then I looked at my bluebox locomotives which were nicely detailed but in comparison to the Kato drive Atlas units, I got a little depressed. I bit the bullet and figured that I would try to remotor the blue box locomotives. I chose NWSL can motors, what at the time were among the best and was amazed at the change that they made. They ran almost as good as the Kato powered units. The rest of the blue box locomotives were remotored the same way and 30 years later they are still in regular service as well as the Atlas locomotives. The luck of the remotoring also had the running at almost the same speed as the Atlas units. A bonus.

It really wasn't very hard to make the conversion at all and I would recommend anyone to give it a shot as you can easily improve blue box locomotives. I am still a DC operator not really needing to run multiple locomotives at the same time. I am a lone operator and am sure that I would have numerous wrecks attempting to run numerous trains on my single track main line.

Give it a shot.

The production aspect of your video is great and looks professional. The only problem for me was it was hard to understand what you were saying at the beginning and the end of the video with the background music. I have a hearing loss, but I could understand you very well with no background music.

Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks for the feedback. I was worried that the music would be a little too loud, but any quieter and I couldn't hear it at all. I actually have hearing loss, too. I like the underscore idea, but might have to ditch it if I can't find the right levels.

Back