Please help me polish this yard

If you have a large car fleet like I do, I would try to keep the yard the same size and increase the leads if you can. The RIP track and car shop are one in the same really. The one my Dad worked at all those years was a 4 track affair, open on the ends and one side, with a 4th track on the back side (caboose track back in those days). I'd scratch build it if you are going modern day or Conrail, but the Walthers shops are pretty nice too if you are going for an older era, like until the 1960's. Crossovers should be placed near the ends of the leads I would say.

Sorry....no.....I meant I myself was the nerd. It was my bad for making a dumb post....too late to explain. I like your layout! :)

I didn't take it in a negative way at all. Just witty banter! And hey, if it walks and talks like a duck then... Thanks for the pics! I picked up Kalmbach's (sp?) yard book to see if I could get some pointers. And yes I have a very very large fleet. Probably in the 3000 car range.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have 3000 railcars? :eek: I love it! I have close to 100 N scale cars after 8 months collecting, and got most of them used for next to nothing. Also have a few new ones. Really looking forward to expanding my fleet! Do you have any photos that show your vast collection?

Mike

I am looking for help to try and clean this design up before I commit to it.
Wow, much better. I think I would cross the ladder by-pass track into the loco service area to the left just when they first come close to each other. That allows locos to get into the service just a little sooner and allows a "passing" track in this general area without having to use the roundhouse as a turnout.

No offense, Im just curious, but it seems like a lot of yard for two industries. How are you going to use all the yard tracks?

No offense, Im just curious, but it seems like a lot of yard for two industries. How are you going to use all the yard tracks?

Non taken! For now I have only decided on the coal mine and grain silo's. I will have a few more on that level. On the lower level I will have 6 or 7 also. Plus I am planning to view the yard as "full" when it is 50% used. That way I have some wiggle room if someone brings their train over for operation.

Ok so I have added the crossover as suggested by Iron Horseman. I am still trying to figure out how to add a RIP track and car shop. Any suggestions? Should I go ahead and shorten the yard to add those? In the upper right hand corner I was hoping to put a small city/town so I would like to stay away from that area. I figured since the reach was so great it would be best not to incorporate any tracks back there. Thanks for all the help so far!

irocinbluewalkthroughch.png

Is it O.K. to have the RIP track and car shop on the other end of the yard? I have not been able to determine through research if there is a prototype for that.

Thanks!

I hate to beat a dead horse but I was not real happy with my previous offerings. I have changed it a lot. Tell me what you think please!

nohelixsingletrackfolde.png

I'd say you have a winner!

As we speak I am working on a shorter yard to give me more room for the town to the right and balance out the layout. Did you follow the mainline run? If so what do you think? Anything I can improve upon?

Thanks, Seann

Blue,

Don't mean to be redundant, but, I don't see a drill/tail track that the yard switcher uses, when pulling/dumping cars, other than the main track on the right end. Over by the roundhouse, same thing-yard tracks dump directly onto the main. Not a good idea. I expect that when you go to switch the yard, you will be tying up the main all the time. Doesn't have to be a whole train length, but should be at least 6 or so cars.

I miss Stein.

I thought there was a long lead on the East end and the West end, or is that double track? If it IS a double track main, yeah, you really need yard leads.

Blue,

Don't mean to be redundant, but, I don't see a drill/tail track that the yard switcher uses, when pulling/dumping cars, other than the main track on the right end. Over by the roundhouse, same thing-yard tracks dump directly onto the main. Not a good idea. I expect that when you go to switch the yard, you will be tying up the main all the time. Doesn't have to be a whole train length, but should be at least 6 or so cars.

I miss Stein.

It is actually a single track doubled over on itself with a crossover. I will add some more descriptions tomorrow, but if you look at the layout where the outside most rail dips under the yard, the second track in is the arrival/departure track. Making the tracks coming off each end my drill tracks. On the far right side past where they cross over each other there are 5 tracks. The forth one in is a drill track. (I hope :eek:) I added switches to get back on the main to add more fun. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there was a long lead on the East end and the West end, or is that double track? If it IS a double track main, yeah, you really need yard leads.

OOHH crap! I just noticed on the east end of the arrival/departure track I cannot get to the yard lead. Better finding it now then after it's built!

Back