please critique my work, new to custom painting

dk-espee

These are my first two custom paint jobs which copy an actual prototype. I have painted two other engines in the past to a freelanced road I was thinking of modelling. Those paint jobs were very simple.

The CORP 3823 was the first one I painted and the 3804 came second. They are both non-prototypical in that the CORP has no -2's. These were two undecs I had laying around and figured I would use them for practice before tacling a fleet of Atlas's.

The paint is Floquil enamel, but I want to give the pollyscale a try on the next one. The decals are a Microscale mini-cal set.

109_0319.jpg

109_0312.jpg

109_0321.jpg

109_0313.jpg

109_0316.jpg

109_0317.jpg

And a proto photo:

3823.png

Smooth Paint, Flat finish, and VER sharp, crisp lines! :cool: I think you did a more satisfactory job on your model than the actual CORP! :D Your Attention to detail is impressive, and I really enjoy the small things, like how the striping curves around the bottom of the numberboards. :eek:

One small easy suggestion though: Paint your Windshield Wipers! :eek:

Top Notch Work though! I'm quite impressed!

Thanks for the kind words, that will give me the confidence to tackle a fleet of Atlas 38's.... Has anyone noticed the color difference between the 3804 and 3823? Can I get some opinions on that? The 3804 was painted with Signal Red first, then UP Harbor Mist Gray. The 3823 was painted with SP Lark Light Gray, then Signal Red over the top of that. Which color combo matches the prototype the closest?

3823 look's closer but the prototype looks a darker shade. got to say though they both look great

Personally I'd go with the lighter shade, considering the photo looks dark, and paint fades.

I should be taking lessons from you! :cool:

One way I suppose you could tell how well the red on the model matches the prototype, is to photograph it outdoors - i.e. in the same type of lighting (sunlight) as the proto unit. Incandescent [filament] bulbs always make colors look a tad more yellowish than they do in full-spectrum light.

Top notch, sharp lines. A close-up picture sometimes reveals minor flaws the eye can't see at first, but in your case: you passed with an A+.
Excellent work.

Regards,

René

For your first job you did a great job. You avoided the first time "paint's too thick" problem most have. Everything looks even and clean.
The other thing is the decals. You appear to have them on straight. Heck, they can't even do that in real life...!

Good job

Very nice crisp paint job with some nice decal work. Could pass for better than a factory paint job!!

I like them, real nice work. I have a GP40 planned with CORP colors,(4022) so I have a couple questions :D
What (shade/name) of color for the Red and the Grey?
Decal set Do the white stripes come with the set?

I was also planning to do a couple of GP38's CBNS 3800 and 3801 both are now with the DGNO.

smiley-cheers.png
Willis

I like them, real nice work. I have a GP40 planned with CORP colors,(4022) so I have a couple questions :D
What (shade/name) of color for the Red and the Grey?
Decal set Do the white stripes come with the set?

I was also planning to do a couple of GP38's CBNS 3800 and 3801 both are now with the DGNO.

smiley-cheers.png
Willis

-The gray that I used on the 3823 is FLoquil enamel SP Lark Light Gray.
-The gray on the 3804 is Floquil enamel UP Harbor Mist.
-The red on both is Floquil enamel Signal Red.
Tip: the red on the 3823 was applied after the gray, on the 3804 the red was applied first.

Microscale sells the decal sets, they are a mini-cal set. The white stripes are included in those sets.

I'm going to try Pollyscale paints on the next couple that I paint up. I will post the results when they are completed.

I make 3d models using Rhino 3D. When I first saw the pics, the paint was so clean, the lines so sharp, I thought for a second you were trying to fool us with a digital model. That's fantastic.

SRT.

Back