Please critique my 4x8' HO layout plan

GEXR

This is a 4x8' HO layout designed on the 1995 Atlas RTS release. I modified the "Great Plains" plan from "Six HO Railroads You Can Build" (Book #13, Oct. 1989) by adding a small yard with turntable and a couple spurs. I realize that the design is quite busy, however, I'm sure I would enjoy the range of operation on this layout if it is ever built.

As far as I see it, the spurs on the east side can be used for industry whereas the yard on the west can be used as a simple classification yard. The two sidings facilitate the operation of a long train on the mainline and a short switching train that would service the spurs and the yard. I admit that the turntable could be omitted in favour of more yard space or scenery, but I would love to add a roundhouse.

Please offer your criticism regarding this design. Any feedback is welcome. If the picture is large enough, please look at the locations of the terminals and insulated joiners to see if the blocks will be properly integrated.

Thanks in advance,
-James

It has potential, but flesh it out. How will your roads run. How do the people at the industries get to work. Where are the engine facilities? Exactly which industries are you planning? Look in your Walthers and get the footprint and see if they will fit. What is the landscape like. Will your scenic elements fit without messing with the track or buildings.

The yard outweighs the rest of the layout in terms of operations. It would be nice if you gave nod to an interchange track that gives an outward bound reason for your layout to require a yard.

I think its good for the size you are working with.

If I could make a suggestion? I would remove one of the sidings as you really dont need 2 on such a small mainline.I dont think it will be that usefull but thats just me... I would add another industry spur that you can use in place of it. I like the idea Chip has with a junction track that comes in and looks the part.

Nice Job
Trent

It's a workable track plan but the emphasis is on track. You have virtually no room for scenery, buildings, roads, or the other things that make up the rest of the world. Although roundhouses are cool, it will take up to half the layout space on a 4x8. As long as you understand all these things are are OK with mostly track and very little else, go ahead and build.

I would loose the turntable. That or the yard for sure.
Of course It would all fit nicely in N guage. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a very similar plan, but I added an extra foot to my board. Someone raised a concern about space for roads, scenery, etc. I think it works on a 5x8 table.

I think two passing sidings are fine. You can always put an industry on one or both of them. May not be prototype, but prototype may not be your goal.

One advantage to two passing sidings is that you can have a loco 1 on one with the power off while running loco 2 on the loop. Then you can pull loco 2 onto the other siding, turn off the power, and activate the siding where loco 1 is sitting.

Take your time with the plan. I'm currently on version 18 of my plan. Great ideas from this forum. Google Image search "Track Plan", you'll find tons of options :)

I like it.
Doug

I am also unclear of your overall plan or approach.

Here is what I would do...please bear with me: What are currently two industrial spurs nearly parallel at inner upper right....make that your yard. At the same time, shove the turntable due north so that a lead coming off the leftmost spur that I was just mentioning provides access. That means fiddling with your radials around your turntable, maybe dropping a couple, but you'll have room.

This means you can eliminate the current yard at lower left inside, and use it for industrial and urban running. Same for the west, outboard of your main...a lot of room there that I don't know how you'll use. Do you want forestation and a backdrop along that side...will it be against a wall?

Just some suggestions.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think I will shed the turntable and turn the two spurs to the north into the yard. I also will try removing one of the sidings. I will post the revised version soon.

Back