Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alt. Option G *Half way between the 2 previously mentioned*

• Other... *Pick an area, max 36"X36" Modules (2x)*

• Total voters

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So now that you've wandered across my updated pelimnary track plan, I have a question, which of the following options should I choose for the first two modules? I have two Woodland Sceneics Mod-u-rail 36"x36" sections, which I'll probly modify to 36"x24" sections.

Pick an option, please explain your choices too!
cajon2lower_modules_options.gif

The reason I ask, is my wife isn't good at choosing for me (she allways says do what you want)...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd start on option B i think, it's a section that will fit in another area pretty easy if you did decide to change your plan

I think I would choose A or B, as they both give you a little more track to play with on the first two modules. The others that are outlined are relatively simple mainline modules, and might be a little 'boring' to start with, which probably wouldn't be a good thing for a project of that size...it'll require a lot of motivation to do a layout of that size in 36" x 36" modules :eek: But when it is done, it'll be one heck of a layout! :)

It won't be modulized completely, this is just so that I have something to shoot on really, and program decoders. A majority of the layout will be spine roadbed... As for C & D they're "city life" so there's alot of off the track action. I'm thinking alont the lines of option B, but I dunno... The problem with B is the hidden UP track at the corner...

That's true, the city scenes would provide a lot of structure and lighting oportunities. Hmm...what's your ceiling height? ;)

sushob said:
That's true, the city scenes would provide a lot of structure and lighting oportunities. Hmm...what's your ceiling height? ;)
lol, fortunatly the buildings are not that tall in that area.

jbaakko said:
lol, fortunatly the buildings are not that tall in that area.
I come from a town of 3,700. The tallest thing around here is the hill the cemetery is on. :rolleyes: It would still be fun to try a diorama someday though...lots of figures, vehicles, maybe a subway station....

jbaakko said:
I have two Woodland Sceneics Mod-u-rail 36"x36" sections, which I'll probly modify to 36"x24" sections.
Why didn't you just buy 36"x24" modules to begin with?

I think E, F, or G would be more interesting.

The mod-u-rail sections are either 18"x36" OR 36"X36", I opted for the bigger incase I wanted more depth.

I voted for Option A because it gives you an opportunity to test the performance of crossovers. Based on your tests, you might decide to go with #10 turnouts rather than #8's - good to discover these type of things early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, nice point Ken! Although, those switches there only have to handle grain cars ;) . I might just have to keep that thought in mind.

jbaakko said:
Oh, nice point Ken! Although, those switches there only have to handle grain cars ;) ...
Ohhh...so actually that's a yard...my bad!:eek:

Still, I think putting in track with turnouts will be a good "starting-out" exercise.

So, since no one is voting besides the 3 votes it looks like I go with Option B, the Cargill tower, Verdemont area.

So, since no one is voting besides the 3 votes it looks like I go with Option B,
Well since I made a mess of mine I really didn't want to vote, so you'll have to learn to make a mess on your own :D
Seriously I really don't have any idea of what is best, they all look good to me. Glad to be so much help to you making your decision ;) keep us informed if you made the right one :rolleyes:
Cheers Willis

Wow, I feel like an idiot, I have enough base material for THREE 3'x2' modules... I'm thinking E&G or adding onto D. Think I should go with B still and have a spare module from one of the other portions?

Back