Planning the NEW double decker...

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So I mentioned in the coffee shop thread that I had spent the better part of the day editing my track plan(s). Here's and early capture of the Upper deck, starting at the helix would be Mormon rocks, ending at Barstow yard. As you can see I'm not done yet, as I don't have the lower deck to post, and I have yet to edit the Barstow Yard (gonna make it bigger!).
EDIT New plan below....

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the Lower deck, again, this is an early design, BUT I would like some comments, but commenting on the size (25'x32') is not required, cause, well this is an EARLY design.
EDIT New plan below....

And to get a feel for the whole layout in the space, here's an overlapped image. The white lines represent the lower portion of the layout, and the black lines then represent the upper portion.
EDIT New plan below....

As you can also see, the lower portion occupised the left and the upper the top/right area. I'm switching to a double deck plan to elimenate crouding of the feature I'd like to squeeze in. Obviously there's quite alot of room for give in the design, and lots of open space that I can "expand" into, if need be, but I'm liking the set-up of this so far.

The walkway clearances are another story, I'm betting on something like this (this is on the 1st version of the double deck plan):
trackplan3doubleclearance.gif

Here's a "test" of the new Barstow Yard design:

The track in the middle has 8 89' flats on it. Alot less then I wanted to fit, but it was a comprimise due to the layout of the engine facility & car shop.
cajontest2.gif

EDIT San Bernardino yard:
cajon3lower_sb.bmp.gif

Here's the "NEW" double deck, or in computer tech, version 2 (or would this be V2.1 of my layout...).

Both decks, White being upper, black being lower...
EDIT, New plan below:

Lower deck:
cajon2lower.gif

Upper deck:
EDIT, New plan below:

As you can see I expanded the yards. The Barstow yard has the addition of the engine facility, and lenghtened hump tracks (both sides), but a shortened non-hump yard. San Berdo has a longer yard now, and the station track have been expanded to "fit" 3 85' commuter cars & the F59...

Here's the new plan, V3 of my layout:
cajon3double.gif

Here's the upper deck, which changed:
cajon3upper.gif

I plan to re-edit the double plan so that the upper deck tracks lap over the lower, instead of the way they are now, the white being the upper, is hidden in a few spots.

I gotta say josh, what a great job you have done with the revision, i'm very impressed by the attention to detail

Thanks Steve, I keep finding more ways to squeeze in trackage and details, without making the room too crouded. I added th 6' or so of trackage to the middle top, figuring one duck under was better then two! Only problem is that the helix side will be about 6" higher then the oppisite side! Its a 1.6% grade back there, feathering off to 1% after Victorville, which will be somewhere around the end of the right island, on the upper deck. The Helix side of the upper deck, and the complete lower deck is 2.2% and a MASSIVE 3% on the downgrade side!

SWEET Layout pics! Unfortunatly, well maybe fortunatly, its fairly treeless. 75% od the layout is the desert, makes it easy on trees, hard on the plants, they're much harder to perfect!
EDIT here's some pics, none mine, but a collection from "cajon pass":
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locThumbs.aspx?id=162311

Steve, as for dynamics, they'll be blaring (well the sound decoder will be).

shame myself

Again I have learned something:eek: : First read carafully the items and threads about the subject :eek: Than you know where it deals about:D
If I READ it first I could have know:ALMOST no trees!!!:D
I "watched your pictures and layoutplans throug West-Europe glasses:cool:
Not eventhinking(yesterday) that I am a guest on USA forum:D
Obviously men is not to old to learn!!;)
I've watched the website ,cool!!!:eek:
Jos

maybe

maybe something like these:rolleyes: The figures are in HO and the "Landrover is a toy from my son:D Only used for the ïmpression"":)
I am still impressed about the size of your layout and the plans you have for "" it":) The pics are fresh from the lab.
Jos

Tell you what josh, some of the shrubs will fit in nice on your layout, after looking at the shots in the link, the desert may be hot but there is still lots of green in there,

wow :eek: great Layout, JOSH

I like Sullivan Curve and mormon Rock, perhaps I build late Cajon passport of modules in trace N or Z, Module box : 2,16ft to 3,28ft x 1,31ft ;)

Cool. Bob's going to do some tweaking on the plan, so we'll see what I keep from his tweak.

Back