PK2 SW8 Performance

NZRMac

In Training Down Under.
Good news from Walthers, I asked if they had non-rubber wheels avaliable and after a little emailing back and forth they are sending some as well as a couple of mods they should run flawlessly.

Email from the parts guys.

Hi Ken,

Larry gave me your e-mail in regards to stalling problems with your SW8. We have found several power pick up issues with theses locomotives.

I can provide you with a non-tire axle and this will help power pick up greatly. There are several other modifications that can be made also. Removing some material from the “ears” on the worm gear cover will allow greater range of motion of the trucks. The “ear” is the tab on the covers that holds the truck to the chassis.

The next area of concern is the wires to the truck, they seem a bit too stiff. The best option would be to replace the wires with wire that is more flexible. Otherwise, make sure there is enough slack in the wire to allow the trucks to pivot freely.

The last area of concern is the power pick up plates on the trucks. The plates should have a slight bow outward toward the axle ends.

I realize that this may seem like quite of work to perform on a new locomotive. If you don’t feel that this is something you are comfortable doing, you can return the loco. to us and we will be more than happy to fix it for you.

In any event, I do need your address so I can send you the axle. Please send me an e-mail with your information and any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Jerry –Walthers parts dept.

Ken.

That's very good customer service, i had a problem with my BLI NW2, the motor was wired wrong way round so it ran in the oposite direction to everything else, BLI got straight back saying how to fix the problem, they included some detailed pics and offered to fix it for me but i did it myself in 15 min's, top guy's

Back