Photo's for backdrops

ggp

ggp
Started to use some of our photo's for backdrops on my layout...please keep in mind that these are first attempts and none of the photo's were taken with a model railway layout in mind, however that is about to change! So here are experiments from the last couple of days.

P1010871.jpg

P1010870.jpg

P1010874.jpg

P1010878.jpg

nice work. I wish I had been able to do this on my layout.

In fact, seeing yours may cause me to redo mine.....

They all look really good to me. The only thing I'd ask is how do they look when you're not seeing them from a head on persective? Some photo backdrops look great at track level in pictures but they look like flat photos to a viewer from a higher angle.

What are the size of the prints and scale of the trains?

It would take a butt load of pics to do my layout. And one would have to be a Photoshop genius. But, shooting scenes would be great for the "picture" track as a backdrop. One could get some pretty diverse shots just changing the backdrop pictures without much of a problem. It's got me thinkin'. (uh-oh)

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also be interested in knowing what size prints you are using. It is a very interesting way to get a nice backdrop...:D

here's a source I've used for large poster prints at great prices. The nice thing is that you can print any size/aspect ratio you want, like 18" x 72" long and only pay for the size printed.

www.perfectposters.com

What are the size of the prints and scale of the trains?

It would take a butt load of pics to do my layout. And one would have to be a Photoshop genius. But, shooting scenes would be great for the "picture" track as a backdrop. One could get some pretty diverse shots just changing the backdrop pictures without much of a problem. It's got me thinkin'. (uh-oh)

Bob

The scale of my trains are HO and the print sizes vary according to the scenes I create....but so far have played with 8.5 x 11 and 8.5 x 14. I wanted to experiment with this process just for small scenes only....I thought it would be fun to be able to switch out regularly and I have a lot of photos to choose from in my photo library. Now that this has worked so well, I plan to take my camera and do a bit of a photo shoot just with the layout in mind.

To UP2CSX - I think if you pick the right photo that has a lot of depth to it, it won't look flat on a larger scale....I may do a more permanent backdrop eventually, but for now will continue to focus on small scenes only.

Back