Photo Fun for the weekend of Mar 9, 10, 11...

Oh hey woha, BOB! The post count, it only updates with new posts and doesn;t back date?

Just took this on the west coast main line at Brock in the UK on a very windy day as you can see from the steam trail, it's 71000 same as last week seen here traveling at the speed limit of 75 mph, very exciting stuff
P3100045.jpg

Steve, Wow! Love it!

I have had very little time the last couple of weeks to get anything done on the layout. I did manage to assemble a station for Hopewell Junction and have it temporarily in place:

HopewellJunction06w.png

HopewellJunction05w.png

Aerial shot of the area:

HopewellJunction04w.png

It's occured to me that I've never posted a picture of my overall layout. It's a 4.5 x 8 (with staging it is now 5 x 8).

Without further adeu, the Rock Ridge and Train City I. Soon to be ex-Rock Ridge and Train City 1.

Not the greatest pictures--the spots put glare at the angle I need to show the whole layout. Without them, the shutter speed is measured in minutes. The reflection frim the mine building roof doesn't help either. I have painting the mine on my round tuit list.

layout02.gif

traincity107.gif

traincity108.gif

traincity109.gif

My compliments to everyone. Nice work all around. Chip, I had forgotten that first, old, view of your layout. Strangely, you are correct, I had not seen, nor have you shown us, the other two.

Here is a recent close call.

I think the caption should be something like,"Hey, we got to the station track first! You take Selector's double-slip. It's only fair, we had to do it last week." :rolleyes:

acx.jpg

Today I had the MRVD (Division of the TLR, (Region of the NMRA)) meeting/ operating session, so I ran a few trains but didnt get pics of em runnin because I was runnin around after them LOL.
1.) MILW 554 an SD10 works the Yard in Morton
2.) M&St.L GP7 (???) Works the Brewery in Franklin
3.)M&St.L F7's 233A and 233C run a mixed freight in Granite Falls

Lots of great stuff this week!

Josh those are some mighty mouth-waterin' pix of the announced mp15ac, I just wish Athearn would stop teasing us though...

Wolfgang, I watched your switching video - very well executed, I felt like I was actually there! BTW what kind of sound decoder do you have in that 44-tonner?

Steve that really musta been one windy day! It looks like 7100 was just bursting out of the twilight zone

Selector, fine-looking shot of the meet! I hope that approaching train was moving s-l-o-w though, otherwise that switchman would be in serious danger:eek:

Ray, nice lil' station. I may put a few more of that general type on my layout when I get the chance...

Chip, what an excellent set of before/after pix of your old layout! That strategic placement of the various buildings does a great job of hiding the spaghetti bowl

Anthony you are correct, that MSTL geep is indeed a '7' - you can tell by looking at the spread-apart pair of grilles at the end of the long hood. (Athearn always called it a 'GP9' but that was incorrect)

97, that's a beautiful shot of that CR GP9. I neglected to pay much attention to them in the 1980's because I was lamenting the loss of the Reading and other fallen flags that got swallowed into Conrail. But now that they're gone, boy do I ever miss 'em...!

Here are my contribs for the weekend: a series of industrial river bridge pix. I shot them back in April 2003 on a boat tour of the River Rouge near Detroit, MI. (Had to scan these in from prints because I didn't yet have a digicam back then)

First, the prototype of the Walthers bascule bridge, (well not really, but it sure looks like it dont'cha think?;) )

walthers_bascule.jpg

Next, an abandoned:)() RR swing bridge:

swing_bridge.jpg

Now we're approaching the legendary Rouge Steel complex (formerly owned by the Ford Motor Co.):

rouge_works.jpg

I honestly don't know if it's the same exact bridge as above or not, but it's the same type in the 'open' position:

flat_splitter.jpg

Here's something not seen everyday: a pipe bridge (behind the smaller bascule in the forground):

pipe_bridge.jpg

Here's something I just had to include, because it looks so "Huck Finn" - it would look right at home on George Selio's layout!

FSM_wannabe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we're approaching the legendary Rouge Steel complex (formerly owned by the Ford Motor Co.):

rouge_works.jpg

I honestly don't know if it's the same exact bridge as above or not, but it's the same type in the 'open' position:

flat_splitter.jpg
Rouge River draw bridge... Quite the amazing area there. Center piece of many ICP songs.

Ken,
Great shots! I was in this same area on 3-3. We ended up having to give our film up to homeland security. Apparently the Detroit waterfront is on a high state of alert and pictures of bridges and steel mills just aren’t allowed. We convinced them that we where not terrorist and stayed out of jail, but we HAD to give them the film. The swing bridge is back in use by the Detroit Connecting RR and is part of one of the routs onto Zug Island.

This shot is from Trenton that same day, south of downtown detroit, it was as cold as it looks!
DSC02422.jpg

Anthony you are correct, that MSTL geep is indeed a '7' - you can tell by looking at the spread-apart pair of grilles at the end of the long hood. (Athearn always called it a 'GP9' but that was incorrect)

Time for me to get a copy of the Diesel spotters guide..............:rolleyes: :D

Busy day at the dockside

Well Ive not done a great deal this week but here it is.

Started to add details into the office block

insideoffice.jpg

Then finally decided on a name for the quayside .. original hey

johnsquay.jpg

Then the line started getting busy first off a passanger train came through..

passangertrain1.jpg

Then the event of the week a coaster had to use the quay for temporary docking (my dad has just finished his 1:48 RC boat and came to use my bath for ballast tests)

docked.jpg

coaster3.jpg

coaster2.jpg

John
RJR

Ken,
Great shots! I was in this same area on 3-3. We ended up having to give our film up to homeland security...
Joe,
Bummer about the 'homeland security' thing!:mad: Was it just you and a few friends who got hassled, or a larger group? I was part of a tour with the Railroad Industries SIG (~50 people) when my photos were shot but I don't know if that had anything to do with my not being harrased...excellent winter shot BTW!
Time for me to get a copy of the Diesel spotters guide..............:rolleyes: :D
Don't feel bad, I used to think the same thing (GP9's had dynamic brakes, GP7's did not) until one of my rivet counter friends set me straight:D

Back