Photo Enhancement Using Masks

B_Kosanda

Hello All,
I saw a couple photos in MR that got me wondering how good a job I could do with Paint Shop Pro on modifying the sky in a model railroad photo. In the two attachments you can see the original photo shot on my layout and the modified photo. I created a mask for the sky and masked out the backdrop to let the sky show through from a real sky scene. I also did a simple copy/paste on the foreground scene to get rid of the fascia.

What do you think of it? Be honest. Personally, I think there are some improvements that could be made, especially where the complicated tree outline plays against the sky. A more realistic cloud layout would also be a little nicer looking.

Bill

Honest opinion - I think it looks pretty good as well. I do, however, agree with you about the clouds, especially the cloud right at the horizon line just above the cab of the loco. I have PSP installed, but never seem to have the time to learn to use it! Is there a way to "soften" the transition line where you pasted the image to hide the facia board?

One final comment: after reading the article on adding haze to model photos (I think it was in RMC), I find the photos with a little haze to be more realistic. It's a rare day anymore when the world appears crystal clear.

Somehow, I've got to work a digital camera into next year's modeling budget. I look at all the neat photos that get posted here and think -- I wanta try that! Thanks for the inspiration.

Looks good to me although I tend to agree that the clouds are a little overpowerings, as is the deep blue of the sky. Most of the time, you see higher, wispy clouds with some haze, at least towards the horizion. The foreground came out really nice though - I'd never know the layout ended at a fascia board a few inches from the track.

Good first attempt. It usually helps to use an image with its own horizon as the background, this adds more depth to the picture. Try to choose an image that doesn't draw attention away from the real subject of your picture either. The blue is too vibrant and the clouds are too white. I'd try to tone the background down some.

As for the foreground, you did a nice job trying to keep it random looking. It's very hard to fill that large of an area, especially when you have such a small patch to copy around. I generally try to limit the areas in the foreground that have to be covered, as it is much easier to add the background then the foreground. Another suggestion for the foreground is to take a picture of the ground somewhere else on the layout and copy that in and blend the two together.

As with everything in this hobby, practice makes perfect. Keep up the good work.

Looks Great to Me!

Hi Bill,
I'd say you did a very fine job, it looks very natural in all respects to me! The clouds look as natural as they can be, I've photographed many here in Calif. and often times they do dip below the horizon especially with a bit of a hill in the scene. The Blue of the sky and White of the clouds couldn't be any more natural. I'd also have to say you did a very fine job of filling in the foreground too, as stated prior, no-one would know there was a facia there!

I would love to be able to do masks/layers alot better then I could. Nothing ever comes out the way its written out for instructions.

Now how good is someone with creating fallen flag paint jobs on current rollingstock? There is a member on railroad.net that does an incredible job, but i've asked to no avail to do an Erie on a new PL42AC or P40.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll be out taking some photos of different sky scenes to pick up a few more to chose from. This was more-or-less just a test to see if I could make it work. Thanks for the comments.

Bill

Here's a Second Attempt

This time I chose an actual background scene from the Cascade Sub. I oversprayed the background with partially transparent white to add depth. I also used feathering when I copied the foreground snips. I think this one is better.

Bill

I thought the first one was good, but this last one is excellent! Good idea on adding the transparent white for depth. I think you achieved your goal.

Very nice job indeed. Looks just like the SP in the mountains to me. The hazy background makes a world of difference.

Yup, great job on the "Second Attempt". The haze in the background adds so much depth. Everything else just "fits". You can almost hear the rumble of the engines.

Back