Photo Contest Topic Ideas?

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
What Photo Contest Topics would you like to see for future contests? The contests are a lot of fun, and I'd like to hear from everyone that's interested in participating.

Here's a list I've come up with so far:

1/ Trains and cars (crossings)

2/ Industrial switching

3/ Trains in the country (scenery)

4/ Loco Lashups

5/ Passenger trains

6/ Trackside Scenes

7/ Railyards

8/ Favorite Caboose

Next month, Bob has suggested Winter/Christmas scenes for the Holidays.

Anyone have a new Contest topic idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
How about best horse?

Best team and wagon?

Best Saloon?

Best guy riding a bull?

You know, stuff everyone can relate to.

SpaceMouse said:
How about best horse?

Best team and wagon?

Best Saloon?

Best guy riding a bull?

Naw, I can't find any of that stuff in styrofoam. :D

Eric,

Can you wait until maybe February for the Industrial Switching theme? That'll give me time to get my larger structures back on the layout...:eek:

CSX_road_slug said:
Eric,

Can you wait until maybe February for the Industrial Switching theme? That'll give me time to get my larger structures back on the layout...:eek:

Not a problem. ;)

SpaceMouse said:
How about best horse?

Best team and wagon?

Best Saloon?

Best guy riding a bull?

I think most of what we can relate to in that bunch would be the "bull". ;)

Trains and cars sounds interesting, considering it can be bent easly (heh, autoracks!?), and horse and wagon could also fit for the more classical time periods. Also you have the option of trucks, and stuff like that, maybe a railcar transfering to a truck? I say go with Trains & Car (Vehicles), for say, Jan, chirstmasy for Dec, Industrial for Feb...

I'm trying to find topics that appeal to a wide range of us. That's the tough part.

How about this one? Your favorite "model railfan" location.

Backdrop shots?

Fav structure/building?

Modeled water? (Let's just give that one to Rex;) )

grande man said:
I'm trying to find topics that appeal to a wide range of us. That's the tough part.

How about this one? Your favorite "model railfan" location.

Backdrop shots?

Fav structure/building?

Modeled water? (Let's just give that one to Rex;) )

I like the first three if fudging is allowed (like the tunnel shots). Now modeled water could be very interesting with a short note on how it was done. Actually it might generate the most interest of any topic.

13.gif
Willis

Don't forget, not all of us have a layout right now. SO maybe we can do something that doesn't require everyone to have a layout.
Chris

chrismoore93 said:
Don't forget, not all of us have a layout right now. SO maybe we can do something that doesn't require everyone to have a layout.
Chris

Yeah, that makes it kinda tough. A diorama would be great practice for that new RR you're soon starting, Chris. ;)

Grande,

All your original ideas were good. I can do most of them, unless you come up with a best covred hopper or best intermodal. Or best Nuclear Reactor.

SpaceMouse said:
How about best horse?

Best team and wagon?

Best Saloon?

Best guy riding a bull?

You know, if we get a bit more generic, SM actually has some good ideas here...

How about this?

Vehicles (non-railroad)

Buildings and businesses

Livestock and people

chrismoore93 said:
Chris

Unfortunately, not all of the contests will work for everyone. Some of the subjects will rule out some of the members, for a variety of reasons. We try and make them generic, but in most cases a few folks won't be able to participate for some reason or other.

What we hope to do is balance is where most folks can participate each month, and those of you who can't do one month can participate in the next month instead.

We also try and be pretty lenient in the rules/topics. Let's say for example that the topic is "Freight cars" and your layout is a very detailed and prototypically correct model of some passenger station along with staging tracks. We would accept things like baggage cars, head end express cars or other ideas that at least try to accomodate the general theme.

Back