Photo Contest Topic Ideas?

chrismoore93 said:
Don't forget, not all of us have a layout right now. SO maybe we can do something that doesn't require everyone to have a layout.
Chris

I don't have a layout, have two pairs of modules, two dioramas and one photo diorama. I do whatever I can though!

Originally Posted by chrismoore93
Don't forget, not all of us have a layout right now. SO maybe we can do something that doesn't require everyone to have a layout.
Chris
Hi Chris, a layout is not necessary, check out the following link to see how "Space Mouse", Chip did his tunnel photo. Just fudge it ( a sort of mock up) using anything you have available, the background can be a picture or real scenery. I can't find it now , but somewhere on the forums are instructions for building such a module. If I find it I'll post a link.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2830&page=2
Cheers Willis

1) What about before/after shots. Showing progression of any model RR subject. Sort of like a then and now kinda thing. Any of our members could enter AND it might force some of us;) to throw up some weathering or whatever to get in.

2) Maybe a "here is the prototype" and "here is my my model of it" kind of thing? Like the ones that showcase the Mellow Mike stuff.:cool:

I wanted to write more but I'm diggin' a tunnel for this months' contest:D

Johnny

csxmu said:
Prototype & Model
Figures in action
I really like industrial switching!
MOW Scenes

Ya know, we've got some good ideas here, but I really like action shots and MOW scenes.

As for before and after/model and proto topics, they would complicate running the contest somewhat. They could be interesting though.

grande man said:
As for before and after/model and proto topics, they would complicate running the contest somewhat. They could be interesting though.
The easiest way would probably be to have everybody "glue" their two pictures together, so that you only have to submit one photo that's sorta "half & half." Unfortunately that would mean compromising both pictures, and losing a lot of detail.

Street Running... but let's schedule it for later this year, when I hope to have that LDE (to use a Koesterism) up and running.

well, now its Dec. when do we find out the topic of the contest?:confused: i might be interested in doing the contest, if it is about something i have on the layouts.:) are their contests each month?:confused: *edit* it can be in any scale(N&HO), right? i have differant stuff on each. thanks, -Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
lginc said:
well, now its Dec. when do we find out the topic of the contest?:confused: i might be interested in doing the contest, if it is about something i have on the layouts.:) are their contests each month?:confused: *edit* it can be in any scale(N&HO), right? i have differant stuff on each. thanks, -Dean

Hi Dean. It won't be long and we'll put the December Contest up. Stay tuned. The Contest is monthly and can be any scale. I look forward to seeing your entries!

Any chance we could get the specs before the weekend. With Christmas coming up, there won't be a lot of non-workdays this month.

Now that I posted a picture in the November contest, what happens? Are there votes or something? Also, how do I post a new subject? I still have not quite figured this site out.

Well we'll all get to vote on it, and whoever gets the most votes, well they win :D
Willis

SpaceMouse said:
Any chance we could get the specs before the weekend. With Christmas coming up, there won't be a lot of non-workdays this month.

Let's go with Winter Holidays for the December topic. Christmas trains, winter layout pics, etc.

grande man said:
What Photo Contest Topics would you like to see for future contests? The contests are a lot of fun, and I'd like to hear from everyone that's interested in participating.

Here's a list I've come up with so far:
1/ Trains and cars (crossings)
2/ Industrial switching
3/ Trains in the country (scenery)
4/ Loco Lashups
5/ Passenger trains
6/ Trackside Scenes
7/ Railyards
8/ Favorite Caboose
Next month, Bob has suggested Winter/Christmas scenes for the Holidays.
Anyone have a new Contest topic idea?

Looks like you have now exhausted this list so here are some of my ideas, not necessarily in any order:
1. Speed
2. Critter Encounters
3. Old Reliable
4. Casey Jones Complex
5. Personification (photographer's self portrait in models)
6. Sunset (or sunrise), Twighlight?
7. Oops! (model train wrecks)
8. The Ubiquitous Box Car
9. Over the River and through the woods (Thanksgiving - November?)
10. First Class
11. Inspiration (recent shot of prototype).

"Lotsa bull already involved in this contest."
How about "alternate transportation" with a train?
Spacemouse could have his horse and wagon in the picture. Cars at the train station, farmer delivering milk to the siding, airplane on a flatcar... you get the idea. Does this have to be models only?
Hope I can find the picture I took in Berlin, Ohio of an Ohio Central steam engine pulling out of the station and an Amish buggy waiting at the road crossing!

Looks like you have now exhausted this list so here are some of my ideas, not necessarily in any order:
1. Speed
2. Critter Encounters
3. Old Reliable
4. Casey Jones Complex
5. Personification (photographer's self portrait in models)
6. Sunset (or sunrise), Twighlight?
7. Oops! (model train wrecks)
8. The Ubiquitous Box Car
9. Over the River and through the woods (Thanksgiving - November?)
10. First Class
11. Inspiration (recent shot of prototype).
I guess you didn't like any of these - well I guess speed and action are almost the same.

Back