Photo Contest Thoughts

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
There's a few thoughts about the contests that I'd like to let everyone know about.

First, thanks to all of you who have participated in past contests. The pics have been AWESOME. :cool: They really are an inspiration to us all. For anyone that's thought about entering a pic but hasn't yet, let me encourage you to do so. We'd all like to see your work and you'll have some fun in the process.

Some of you may have noticed my post over in the "clinics" forum concerning a new software program called Helicon. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3226
I'll let you read the post for yourself, but in summary, a scene is shot on several focal planes and the software "merges" them into one fantastically focused pic.

Helicon has brought to mind the issue of digitally altered pics in the contests. My thought is that since the program basically just offers a focused pic of what's really there, it's fine for use with contest pics. It's really no different than using an expensive lens/camera to get the same effect. I do want everyone to know the program is available for their use. It will potentially change the quality of model railroad pics forever.

Photoshopped pics are somewhat of a different case as they do alter the content of the pic's subject. If you submit photoshopped pics, please disclose that. I'm not talking about a photo that you lightened, adjusted the contrast, etc, but more one where the actual subject was altered from the parent photo.

Our photo contests are just for fun and to show off your work. I know they can be a prompt for me to buy/build/detail something for a particular month's theme and that's a plus for getting some RR work done.;) . Let's keep the spirit of the contests light and fun. I just want everyone to be on the same page here. Thanks for reading the rambling. :) We all look forward to seeing more of the member's fine modeling talent in each month's photo contest!

Back