People

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
I noticed that most of my scenes/shots do not have people in them. So here are some folks on the go near a crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lack of figures is common on most layouts. Maybe we are so focused on the rest of the layout that a few people seem to be enough? George Sellios of Fine Scale Miniatures said it best in his book "The Franklin & South Manchester Railroad" when he points out that most layouts look like ghost towns due to the lack of little people.

I'm as bad as everyone else for lack of people. Presently I have less than 12 not counting engineers in engine cabs. My railroad is far from needing dozens or even hundreds of people at this point but Georges comment made me think and I will populate as much as I can as scenes get completed.

These two guys started unloading the coal gon at the Salina coal dealer.

11-03-16_IMG_2407.jpg

Wolfgang

Lack of figures is common on most layouts. Maybe we are so focused on the rest of the layout that a few people seem to be enough? George Sellios of Fine Scale Miniatures said it best in his book "The Franklin & South Manchester Railroad" when he points out that most layouts look like ghost towns due to the lack of little people.

I'm as bad as everyone else for lack of people. Presently I have less than 12 not counting engineers in engine cabs. My railroad is far from needing dozens or even hundreds of people at this point but Georges comment made me think and I will populate as much as I can as scenes get completed.

At least you have someone operating in your cabs. It took me years before I put engineers in my steamers. Where are your other people located? Any pics?

I think many forget about people especially around places of work. I've seen layouts with building and not one door or window open... Isn't anyone open for business or is it Sunday? Hehehe.

I'm lucky that I model a branch line so not many people needed; well that's my excuse and those Preiser people are very expensive so it takes time for me to accumulate them; usually annual gifts. Here are some of them; most of them at the station.

Right now I have all my people in a box together, hoping they'll propagate. I need many more. :D

I think Wolfgang is the master at integrating people into his scenes. :)

However, I do like your scene way up at top, zoegraf. Nice car models and the people look involved.

I don't tend to use human figures, but I do have a couple of examples.

My shot of the Seneca River:

Stacklowwater1res.png

Here, the turntable operator is also a rail fan admiring the Powhatan Arrow departing Seneca Falls...right on schedule, too.

stacked-turntable.png

And lastly, Pop took the kids up into the hills over their town to catch the same train roar past at speed.

5685withskyandshadow.png

Right now I have all my people in a box together, hoping they'll propagate. I need many more. :D

I have a bunch of sitting people with their legs cut off in a box. They used to be in a passenger car that I no longer have.

I think Wolfgang is the master at integrating people into his scenes. :)

However, I do like your scene way up at top, zoegraf. Nice car models and the people look involved.

I don't tend to use human figures, but I do have a couple of examples.

My shot of the Seneca River:

Stacklowwater1res.png

Here, the turntable operator is also a rail fan admiring the Powhatan Arrow departing Seneca Falls...right on schedule, too.

stacked-turntable.png

And lastly, Pop took the kids up into the hills over their town to catch the same train roar past at speed.

5685withskyandshadow.png

Very nice shots! I especially love the Seneca scene. Very inspiring.
Hopefully someday I will start on a bigger layout so I can have a river.

I have a bunch of sitting people with their legs cut off in a box. They used to be in a passenger car that I no longer have.

If you want to sell those amputee's send me a PM
Your scenes look really nice, your doing a great job.

If you want to sell those amputee's send me a PM
Your scenes look really nice, your doing a great job.

Thanks for the comments.

I made the mistake of selling most of them at a hobby show and this is all I have left. I'm going to hang on to them hoping someday someone will make a prototypical CNR heavy weight coach or combine for them to sit in.

By the way, thanks for your past replies; much appreciated.

Cheers.

Thanks, Outback! :) They can be hard to do well, at least for me, whereas Wolfgang seems to have that sense of how to pose them.

For me finding people that look like people looked back in the 1920's in Rural NYS has been a problem... But I do have a scene of some town folks in the park on a Saturday Afternoon listening to the local Papec Band:

1914ModelTTouring04w.png

A few people waiting for the 2:15 Passenger Train to arrive:

24YardStationHopewell_w.png

And a work crew arriving to do a RIP on the old Overton Car's brakes:

22YardDetail_w.png

Gotta have people on the Railroad!

For me finding people that look like people looked back in the 1920's in Rural NYS has been a problem... But I do have a scene of some town folks in the park on a Saturday Afternoon listening to the local Papec Band:

1914ModelTTouring04w.png

A few people waiting for the 2:15 Passenger Train to arrive:

24YardStationHopewell_w.png

And a work crew arriving to do a RIP on the old Overton Car's brakes:

22YardDetail_w.png

Gotta have people on the Railroad!

I like the people waiting for the train. The scene does capture the period.

The shot of the "J" Class N&W reminds me of watching the Big Berks roll by on the NKP just outside of Cleveland when I was a kid.

Don

I haven't started building my layout yet so no people pic of my own to share yet but I did find this pic of the Miniature Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany.

This is a concert scene with over 21,000 HO people.

HOPeople.png

Back