Peco Vs Atlas track & turnouts

Joseph Z

Can anyone clue me in on the best rail and turnouts. Are Peco so much better than Atlas, I accumulated a lot of Atlas turnouts and track to build my layout.
is Peco that much better?

Peco turnouts have one advantage in particular, the spring-loaded snap-over feature, which is handy if you are manually switching them. What code are your Atlas turnouts? Peco Code 100 turnouts are really set up for British OO gage, though they work okay for U.S. equipment...mostly. Every once-in-a-while the guard rails on them are a bit too wide to prevent the wheels from picking the frog. Not always. But if they do, a .010" shim cemented to the inside of the guard rail will take care of the problem. Peco Code 83 are gaged for the U.S. HO market. Atlas turnouts in both Code 100 and Code 83 are fine, except they need some switch machine, either the above-the-ground Atlas machines, either manual or electric, or can be adapted to under-the-board machines. Peco turnouts can use their own switch machines, or some other, possibly with removal of the little snap-over springs (easy to do). I use both in Code 100 and only had to add the shims to the guard rails on one (1) Peco turnout.

Peco turnouts have one advantage in particular, the spring-loaded snap-over feature, which is handy if you are manually switching them. What code are your Atlas turnouts? Peco Code 100 turnouts are really set up for British OO gage, though they work okay for U.S. equipment...mostly. Every once-in-a-while the guard rails on them are a bit too wide to prevent the wheels from picking the frog. Not always. But if they do, a .010" shim cemented to the inside of the guard rail will take care of the problem. Peco Code 83 are gaged for the U.S. HO market. Atlas turnouts in both Code 100 and Code 83 are fine, except they need some switch machine, either the above-the-ground Atlas machines, either manual or electric, or can be adapted to under-the-board machines. Peco turnouts can use their own switch machines, or some other, possibly with removal of the little snap-over springs (easy to do). I use both in Code 100 and only had to add the shims to the guard rails on one (1) Peco turnout.
Thanks for your speedy response, I do use code 83
Joe

Ya, I will give hints. You have stuff that cost $$$, so 'welcome to the club'. As far as I know everybody has gone through this and had to deal with 'this is what I got' stuff. So now you have to deal with it - or spend $$$ to fix. My choice is deal with it. Gives you training ( pun intended ) and you can move on from there knowing that: you did it!. Kudo's, does not matter what you came up with, all that matters is that you got'her done! Suspect that all here will say pretty much that same.

I'm in N scale, so my experience my be a little different than those who have HO.

The Peco turnouts are light years ahead of Atlas Snap Switches. Atlas also makes a "Custom Line" turnout which has a much better reputation then the "snap switches."

The "snap switches" have the electronic motor inside a dark colored plastic part of the turnout. You don't have to use the electronic switching, but you can.

I agree with Trailrider but take exception with removal of the snap-over springs (easy to do). At least with my process.

The older PECO turnouts had the spring under a cover on TOP of the turnout (at the switch points). On their newer turnouts, for some reason, the spring is mounted UNDER the turnout. Typically I pin down my track and run trains through the turnout to ensure smooth performance, spacing, etc. Once satisfied I would permanently secure my track and remove the spring/cover from the TOP of the turnout and use a tortoise switch machine below. Their newer design makes this test exercise useless since you have to remove the turnout, to remove the spring, to replace the track.... duh...
I realize that not everyone will run a temporary turnout/track test - but its worked well for me.

I'm bringing this to your attention if in the future you wanted to convert to a tortoise or other under table mount switch machine. In almost all cases a PECO spring offers too much resistance when using a slow motion switch machine and should be removed.

If your content to use PECO in a manual (snap-over spring) function then their turnouts will serve you well.

I do think Atlas switches look more American RRing than Peco do..But I'm not absolutely sure of that..
btw: If your switches are Atlas Customline 83, don't be afraid to rub away the black coating atop their metal frogs..This is especially important if you plan to power the frogs, converting them from 'all-live' to 'power-routing' types.

Back