Peco turnouts, are they worth the money?

Secondhandmodeler

All new now!
I need to replace all of my old brass turnouts for my new layout. Since I'm doing this, I figure I will switch to code 83. I need four curved turnouts, so I thought I would go with Peco. For flex track I'll be using Atlas code 83. What I'm trying to decide is whether I should use all Peco turnouts or use Atlas streamline for the basics? I should note that I'll be switching all of these by hand. At this point, I don't plan on using any sort of switch machines. Would I be smart to use all Peco? Any and all opinions would help.

Agreed. Corey, it's hard to go wrong with the HO Streamline Code 83. I use their #6 insulfrogs and like them a great deal. The positive over-centre spring is a wonderful feature which you will come to like very much.

-Crandell

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know what the largest engine you can run through a peco #5 is? I'm toying with using all peco. Has anyone ever used the peco flex track?

You should be able to get most, if not all, articulated engines available out there in HO Land, barring brass, through a true #5. They are pretty much all made to take curves down in the 22" range, and that is about what a true #5 is, plus or minus. Even a 4-8-4 should do, although it would be wise to check if you can. When you get into the non-articulated 2-10-2 and 2-10-4 range, now you might be in for a bit of a squeeze...again, it depends on the model and how much lateral sideplay the makers built into the middle two axles. A blind-drivered engine, such as the BLI Paragon Duplex 4-4-4-4 will have no trouble with a #5. Note that the same series 2-10-4's have their middle axle blind, so they are good, if slowly, through a very smooth and true 22" curve.

Remember, also, this very important point. There are British Peco turnouts (curved diverging route, including after the frog) and N. American style where the divergence is initiated only by the points rails. Through the frog and beyond, they are straight. Makes a difference in alignments, and it may affect the travel of the larger drivered 4-8-4 and higher engines.

Thanks Crandell. I was thinking towards the future with the question on loco size. With the layout I'm planning, I could have the same set up for up to 1978. I like steam, but there is something about a few of those diesels I like. I'm planning to do the 50's, but most of the buildings changed very little in those thirty years. I'm also concerned about being able to run passenger cars through the turnouts. Everything I own now is small due to my last layout having 18 inch radius curves and small atlas turnouts. The new layout will have a minimum of 22 with most being over 24. I'm trying to strike a balance between space used and the limitations of radius and turnout size.

Corey,
If you can get 24" radius curves, do so. 22" radius curves will handle the majority of locomotives and rolling stock but large steam and full length passenger cars will have problems. I do run 80' passenger cars on my 22" radius curves but it has taken a lot of work to get those curves perfect so I can run a passenger train through reliably. They still don't look very good because of the amount of overhang. 24" radius, even though it doesn't seem that much bigger than 22", it really is in terms of both running larger equipment and having it look better as well. If you plan on double tracking, I'd try for 26" radius on the outside and 24" radius on the inside. You can make smaller radius curves work but, while you are still in the planning stage, get the biggest curves you space will allow.

I only use Peco turnouts and flex track,, as they are made here it makes sense to me. There are alternatives but are more expensive. I'll take a bet and say that a revolution in track quality is over due at peco with regards british outline track, for years they have been asked to build more prototypical turnouts and flex track with correct tie spacing, pressure is now on from all corners of Europe for better track which is as Finley detailed as the latest models, models have evolved but track has not

I'm hoping I can stretch the layout by a few feet. As it's planned right now, it will be ten feet wide. I'm really trying to model Mankato more than the railroad. If I was just doing the track, I could have twice as much train action. If I can stretch it out, I may be able to use 24 as my minimum. C&NW and Milwaukee didn't have very large equipment in these parts, but I may get the itch for an articulated steamer. Deep down inside me I know to use the better equipment right off the bat. I have to sell my wife on the idea!

Back