PECO N turnouts lack of electrical contact at the points

Now that I have converted all of my Atlas turnouts to PECO, to supposedly solve my "picking the points" derailment issues, now I am encountered poor electrical contact issues with the PECO turnouts. Although the closing spring force is better with the PWECO turnouts, several are troublesome. I have seen PECO turnout improvements identified on line and will give them a try. Anybody experiencing the same?
DMK

HI Dave, I have had similar issues, that got a lot better after I cleaned between the points and teh stock rails. I just folded a piece of paper towel over the edge of a business card and used a small spray of contact cleaner on the towel. I've heard of one other person who sued a fine emery cloth to do the same thing. I believe you could also run power directly to teh point rails somehow, but you shouldn't have to do that. Also, it is possible that having a good power feed from all 3 sides of turnout are prudent, as the power could be wanting to come from the other end of the turnout, if that makes sense.

Unless I have missed something, I assume you are using Peco Electrofrog Turnouts, would that be right? Electrofrog (and similar) turnouts have always been problematic. I use Peco turnouts and track exclusively; however, I only use inuslfrog turnouts and have never, I repeat, have never had an issue with a turnout, other than what I have messed up myself.

When I have my layout up and running, I let it run and rarely clean it per se - I let the trains do that as they move around the trackwork. My point is this, inuslfrog turnouts are much more forgiving than electrofrogs, are much less work to maintain and much more reliable to boot AND there is absolutely no need for any "special wiring" to make them work.

Bottom line - take out your electrofrogs and replace them with Insulfrogs and you shouldn't have an issue.

Tony,
I am using only PECO insulfrog turnouts,

DMK
Hmm, curious then ... I've never had an issue with my insulfrogs and have never wired them in anyway. All I do is make sure there are feeder wires attached to all tracks at each end of the turnout/s. And to be honest, I'm not particularly vigilante when it comes to cleaning them either :rolleyes:

Are your turnouts soldered to the track sections or just free standing with rail joiners?

@DaveMichael

Dave, take a look at this video clip. The track that the little F7 is running on was dug out from beneath a mountain of scenery stuff, electronics and who knows what else about half an hour ago. The track had not been used OR cleaned for probably close on 6 or so months. The first lap the Kato F7 did was a bit jerky, but after that it ran pretty well considering. The little test layout has three (3) Peco Insulfrog Turnouts in it and they haven't been touched for the same period of time. All I am saying Dave is despite that level of neglect, my turnouts and track are still nicely operable. That is why I am so confused by the issue you are experiencing, it just doesn't make sense ...

Last edited:
Now that I have converted all of my Atlas turnouts to PECO, to supposedly solve my "picking the points" derailment issues, now I am encountered poor electrical contact issues with the PECO turnouts. Although the closing spring force is better with the PWECO turnouts, several are troublesome. I have seen PECO turnout improvements identified on line and will give them a try. Anybody experiencing the same?
DMK
You haven't said how your feeding the turnout's so I'm assuming you have no feeders on the turnout's themselves, if your using the PECO joiners they are not a perfect fit, but the ATLAS joiners, which are slightly wider than the PECO are a better fit, try looking there.

@DaveMichael

Dave, take a look at this video clip. The track that the little F7 is running on was dug out from beneath a mountain of scenery stuff, electronics and who knows what else about half an hour ago. The track had not been used OR cleaned for probably close on 6 or so months. The first lap the Kato F7 did was a bit jerky, but after that it ran pretty well considering. The little test layout has three (3) Peco Insulfrog Turnouts in it and they haven't been touched for the same period of time. All I am saying Dave is despite that level of neglect, my turnouts and track are still nicely operable. That is why I am so confused by the issue you are experiencing, it just doesn't make sense ...

Video still not playing. Could well be bad electrical connection depending on whose rail joiners Dave's using.

I'm assuming you have no feeders on the turnout's themselves,

@Smudge617

You don't need to attach feeders to the inuslfrog turnouts - so long as each piece of connecting track DOES have feeders attached to them he should be fine. As I mentioned above - I have always used peco insulfrog turnouts and have never had feeders attached to them and have never had an issue - as you can see from the little vid above.

That being said, there certainly seems to be something wrong somewhere...

Video still not playing. Could well be bad electrical connection depending on whose rail joiners Dave's using.

Not sure why the video isn't working - it works for me ... gremlins :)

I've never worried about the type of rail joiners I use, generally universal I think, as I solder my track anyway. I learnt very quickly and very early to never rely simply on a rail joiner :)

@DaveMichael

My multi drive wheel steam engines are worse than the diesels.

I agree with @Smudge617, it does sound electrical.

Do as Smudge suggested if you can, meaning if you have an available turnout to do that. If not, and even if you do, can yu take a small video of your engines (Steam and Diesel) crossing the turnouts. Get as close as you can focusing on the wheels and turnout.

Again, are you relying solely on the rail joiners for the transfer of electricity from one track to the next and turnouts, or do you solder your trackwork?

Back