PC use in model building

Steve B

Firefighter
Do you use a PC in any way to enhance a model's appearance, maybe you make shop window scene's or signs or have you another use for it such as making decal's

Feel free to share anything at all ;)

Strange, but I was thinking about that this afternoon. I was looking at a flyer and there was a neat illustration of a clerk behind a counter and some goodies in a display case. I was thinking of scanning it and saving to disk for future use.

Cheers Willis

I use my PC to make decals, signs, backdrops, all kinds of stuff related to Modelling. It is also an invaluable resource for researching prototypes for modelling.
I've also drawn scale diagrams of engines to help with kitbashing and scratch building.

I found some site on the web where you can print free stuff such as interiors for freight terminals,stores,diners, and also one that you can print,fold,and make cargo boxes for ships and double stacks and also some buildings...I also asked my dealer to order me the disc to design and print backwall buildings,,,You start with like brick walls,siding ect...add windows,store fronts,details,and ect. and print...Thought this would help with buildings we need but can't find since we are building local scenes. Our club president has takin photos of mountains near here and enlarged them and printed them for his backdrops. And if you want a local scene and have the extra money,there are sites that can print very large posters from your photos. But like 72 inches can be like 60 bucks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some site on the web where you can print free stuff such as interiors for freight terminals,stores,diners, and also one that you can print,fold,and make cargo boxes for ships and double stacks and also some buildings...
Any chance of you posting some of the links? Could come in handy for a lot of us.

Cheers Willis

This is one for shipping containers, not sure if it's the same one as Trucula uses
http://www.igshansa.de/igsdownload.html

these are mine,,,they are only made from bog standard printer paper so are a bit on the wobbly side, card is best
PC150062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 3rd Planit for track planning. I'm using it for my permanent layout, and just recently I designed an LGB track for my living room / Christmas tree track. Granted, it's only a kidney bean shaped oval, but the software allowed me to see what would fit and experiment with the track location etc. It was nice to print out a parts list and take it to the hobby shop.

Back