Passenger Station Diorama

june6e.jpg

I still have a bunch of details to add to the diorama. Also I still have the road, the trolley tracks, the creek, and some items behind the station to complete.

After along stretch of no work I have finally done something to this diorama. I added some crates, barrels, and sacks to the loading platforms on the station. The detail parts are from Woodland Scenics.

First here is the front dock. Looks like the freight agent has had a busy day.

sept1a.jpg

sept1b.jpg

More stuff keeps arriving. The latest drop-offs are sitting on the rear dock waiting to be processed.
sept1c.jpg

sept1d.jpg

The project now sits dormant from September 2004 until late January 2005.

Ok it has been a while since I have touched this project. Part of the reason is that I have not been satisfied with the coloring of the abutment rocks or the creek wall rocks.

Well I finally tried something with changing the colors of the abutment wall

psda2.jpg

psda3.jpg

Things didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked. Oh, well it is the season for do overs.

Also recently I have had some trouble with the trees. Out new kitten during his teething stage decided that the trees on the diorama were soothing, so he pulled a few up. I got to thinking that if he had an easy time doing it I better check things out. As it turns out quite a few trees were loose and came up very easily. The results are shown in the next few pictures.

psda4.jpg

psda5.jpg

psda6.jpg

Since I did not like the look of the rocks in the abutment I have decided to start over. I have painted the abutment white as shown in the pictures.

psdb1.jpg

psdb2.jpg

I painted the stone abutment with Folk Art Linen. This is the first step in recoloring the stones. First I have to paint the stones the mortar color.

psdc1.jpg

psdc2.jpg

Here is the paint I used.

psdc3.jpg

Now I finally began recoloring the stones. I got this method out of recent Model Railroader magazine. Using a cosmetic sponge I painted the stones with Folk Art Amish Blue.

psdd1.jpg

psdd2.jpg

psdd3.jpg

Next using the same method as I used on the abutment I recolored the creek wall.

First I painted it with Folk Art Linen

psdh1.jpg

psdh2.jpg

I also began working on the foliage. Here are some progress shots near the abutment. I am using Woodland Scenics Tree kits, Clump Foliage, Fine Leaf Foliage, and Foliage.

psdn1.jpg

psdn2.jpg

I finished the foliage on the hillside. Now it is onto the area behind the station.

psdo1.jpg

psdo2.jpg

psdo3.jpg

The arbor

psdo4.jpg

I continued my tree planting and foliage laying. This time I worked on the area along side the station. I still have more foliage to place in and around the trees.

psdp1.jpg

psdp2.jpg

psdp31.jpg

Here is the next area to be worked on.

psdp41.jpg

Back