Passenger Station Diorama Part 3

tompm

I finished adding spackling to make the highway bridge approach.

psd1u_004.jpg

psd1u_005.jpg

Well, I made pour number 2 and here how things look a day later. The Realistic Water still has a slight milky appearance since it is still drying.

psd1v_001.jpg

psd1v_002.jpg

Here is the painted retaining wall for the highway bridge approach. It is nothing more than a strip of wood painted to look like aged concrete.

psd1v_004.jpg

I started to lay out the roadway but realized that my ground was lacking the proper elevation. So out came the spackle and I had to build up some of the area in question.

psd1w_001.jpg

psd1w_002.jpg

psd1w_003.jpg

Its looking very nice, great job with the sceanary, The river is pretty kool very well made :) ant wait too see it finished

Here is stream after 3 pours of Realistic Water. Next is to use some Water Effects to shape some waves.

psd1x_002.jpg

psd1x_003.jpg

psd1x_004.jpg

psd1x_005.jpg

I began working on the roadway portion of the diorama. For this I am using Woodland Scenics Paving Tape and Smooth-it. First I placed the paving tape along the edge of where the road is going.

psd1y_001.jpg

I mixed up a batch of the Smooth-it according to the instructions and poured it. The stuff was messier than I thought it would be.

psd1y_002.jpg

In accordance with the instructions I waited about a half an hour for it to dry and then I removed the paving tape.

psd1y_003.jpg

BTW I am still waiting for the Water Effects to dry clear to post about my so-called effort to make waves in the stream.

I am still waiting for the Water Effects to dry clear. Last time I used it it took about 10 days.

Here is how the stream looks with the milky waves.

psd1z_002.jpg

Here is the roadway after being painted with Folk Art Dark Gray.

psd1z_003.jpg

I painted the roadway with a heavy coat of Folk Art Charcoal Gray. I then wipped it off with a paper towel. I laso painted the roadbed for the trolley tracks with Folk Art Acorn Brown.

psd1z_004.jpg

Now I glued the highway bridge in place.

psd2a_006.jpg

Using a yellow paint pen to add the double yellow. However I screwed it up. To fix I dabbed some Charcoal Gray on the roadway and then using a paper towel I wipped down the roadway with the paint. This faded the line and made it look like an old line.

psd2a_001.jpg

psd2a_003.jpg

Using the yellow paint pen I completed the double yellow line. Using a white paint pen I did the shoulder lines.

psd2b_001.jpg

psd2b_002.jpg

I need to weather the white lines a little to tone them down. Also I am not worried that they are a little squiggly and not perfect. I have learned that in real life it is almost impossible to paint the edge line along the edge of a crumbling pavement and have it straight.

I have weathered the trolley track and ballasted it. I purposely did a bad job of it and left gaps between the ties and not enough ballast on the outside. Around this area in the more rural locations especially trolley tracks were always poorly ballasted. In many cases the mud and muck would fill in between the rails.

psd2d_003640.jpg

psd2d_004640.jpg

I also used a fine point Sharpie to add cracks to the roadway.

I finally got around to adding the first layer of turf. It is Woodland Scenics Green Blend.

psd2e_001640.jpg

psd2e_002640.jpg

psd2e_003640.jpg

I finished painting and assembling the guard rail. It is a kit from Rixx. The rail was airbrushed with Folk Art Metallic Silver.

psd2g_001_640.jpg

psd2g_002_640.jpg

psd2g_003_640.jpg

Here is guard rail weathered with dry brushing Americana Burnt Sienna and Folk Art Charcoal Gray.

psd2h_001_640.jpg

psd2h_002_640.jpg

psd2h_003_640.jpg

psd2h_004_640.jpg

I added some roadway signs to the diorama. They are from Blair Line. I still need to get some warning signs such as “Bridge Freezes Before Road”.

psd2i_002_640.jpg

psd2i_003_640.jpg

I finally got around to photographing the stream now that the Realistic Water and the Water Effects have dried.

psd2i_004_640.jpg

psd2i_005_640.jpg

That pretty much finishes the diorama.

The diorama has since been incorporated into the layout.

Layout_006a.jpg

Layout_005a.jpg

Layout_004a.jpg

Awsome Thanks for showing it in the finish location o layout, nice weathering on the road gives it the nice extra touch.

Back