Passenger Station Diorama Part 2

Next I took a look at the Atlas truss bridge I am using and decided it was too bland.

psd1p_001.jpg

psd1p_002.jpg

I painted the ties and weathered the rails with Folk Art Asphaltum.

psd1p.jpg

I still feel that I need to do something to the underside of the bridge. It looks so blank and empty as shown in this picture.

aah.jpg

The ugly plain underside of the trolley bridge is driving me nuts. So yesterday I took a trip to the LHS and bought a bunch of styrene strips and I-beams.

Here the ugly plain truth.

psd1q_001.jpg

Now I added some I-beams

psd1q_002.jpg

Next I need to add some cross members.

I finished the underside of the trolley bridge. I glued some styrene I beams to the floor. I then used some styrene strips to act as cross braces. Since this was the era in which they used plates to hold things together I glue small styrene to the joints (also to hide them) to act as plates.

psd1q_003.jpg

Here it is with paint still drying.

psd1q_004.jpg

I have now begun to work on the highway bridge approach. First I needed to extend the retaining wall so the level of the road meets the highway bridge. I did this by applying a layer of spackling. I then added a wood strip for the retaining wall.

psd1r_001.jpg

psd1r_002.jpg

I finally got around to adding “water” to the stream.

The first thing I needed to do was dam the stream. For this I used a piece of scrap wood and a piece of scrap. I attached the dams to the diorama with Elmers Squeezable caulk. I let it dry for about 12 hours.

psd1s_001.jpg

psd1s_002.jpg

Once I was sure the dams were firmly in place I began to pour the water. I used Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. I poured it very carefully trying not to splash it on anything. I carefully poured it around rocks and the stream bank. I poured the water to the recommended depth of 1/8 inch. From experience I know the water will look a little cloudy until it dries.

psd1t_001.jpg

psd1t_002.jpg

psd1t_003.jpg

psd1t_004.jpg

psd1t_005.jpg

I am trying to decide whether I need to add another 1/8 inch layer of water or not. Once I have the final depth of the water I will go over the surface with Woodland Scenics Water Effects to make waves.

The first pour of Realistic Water has dried. It does not seem to be deep enough so I will be doing another pour or two.

psd1u_001.jpg

psd1u_002.jpg

psd1u_003.jpg

Back