Parking Lot Pow Wow

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Seriously Jim, you're scheduled to work days this week!

153695176.jpg

Thanks Johnny.

Here's revision 2. Some camera adjustments were made and the car light resistors were increased to dim the lights a bit. I blanked out the car lights with black paint (under the hood) and some paint bled into the left light. Arrrh! I also managed to get the flying herald in. ;)

153856672.jpg

Steve B said:
That second pics a good one Eric

Thanks Steve. I was going for that "street light" look. It's a balancing act to get enough light for detail, yet still look like a true night shot. Faster exposure time and more light seems to help. I was reflecting the LED flashlight off the ceiling at an angle to keep the background dark and the parking lot lit.

Night pics are a fun aspect of MR photography. If anyone has any techniques they'd like to share, I'm all ears. :)

Yeah Eric, the second picture is very good and realistic, but they are not talking about the schedule. Big Jim to Bo: "I don't care whatcha sez, I only drank half that flat bottle and I ainta gonna ride in no danged taxi."

Sorry about that Rex. I was trying to quote you and edited your post by mistake! Aaaarrh. I'll try again. -Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
Yeah Eric, the second picture is very good and realistic, but they are not talking about the schedule. Big Jim to Bo: "I don't care whatcha sez, I only drank half that flat bottle and I ainta gonna ride in no danged taxi."

I think your caption is the way to go! :D

Brunton said:
The first one has that "under a streetlight" look to me. I like it better than the second one.

Me too! and the glare from the headlights is more realistic than the glow in the second shot. (I also like RexHea's caption. I was thinking that the first time I looked at it....:D )

rhoward said:
and the glare from the headlights is more realistic than the glow in the second shot.

The Chevy has 1.7mm 1.5v bulbs. I increased the resistor value for the second pic because one of the bulbs blew in short order and the dimmer lights reduce flare. I may need to find a happy medium though. I'm still undecided, but am leaning toward the dimmer lights. They look better in person than in the pics. I do have to go back and clean up the paint that seeped around the left light.

As a side note, I'm experiencing problems with low light pics and Helicon focus. If the light isn't exactly the same in each pic, the program doesn't know how to handle it. It's tough to get the light level exactly the same using my current method. I'll have to keep working on that. Still, a blurred background image isn't so obvious in "night time" photos.

Once you find out what works best and let us know, I bet there will be a lot of "night time" photos starting to be posted. :D

Say ... Wait a minute .... Do you suppose the July Photo contest is going to be ..... night time shots?????? :rolleyes: :eek: I better start practicin'!

rhoward said:
Say ... Wait a minute .... Do you suppose the July Photo contest is going to be ..... night time shots?????? :rolleyes: :eek: I better start practicin'!

That suggestion has been made. I think I'll put up a poll over in the contest forum and get a more detailed idea as to how much interest there really is.

Hey, I voted for a "Night Photo" contest. Good idea!
What was that photographer's name from the old days that took all those incredible B/W shots. I read his story once. Man, he worked hard but got some wonderful photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back