Painting Western Maryland Scheme.

JonnyLightening

Ok, I have recently stripped my N scale GP18 and am modding it to a GP9 and wanted to paint it WM colors. I was wondering if it would hurt to paint it with regular gloss black spray paint (from Wal-Mart) then add decals and apply dull cote. Would it work(turn out nice)? I don't have an airbrush or any money to get one, but would like to get one in the future. I wanted to see If I would be able to do this. This is the only engine I have so I don't really want to try unless someone else had done it and can help me. Thanks for your help. Jon

If WM paint is black, then yes that should work fine. I'd still highly suggest using primer though.

This may not be an option for you, but I would spring a few more bucks and maybe get some flat black (preferably testors model master in a can) from a hobby shop, use some Future floor wax before applying the decals, and then use dullcote again. With my years of building models this seems like the safest way. Not to mention, I'd love to see a very well done Western Maryland engine posted on here! ;) Hope that helps!

-Rich

I recently sprayed a HO scale GP9, into Pennsylvania colours. I found that the gloss black spray, paint, from a can, needed a lot of coats to cover properly. The next loco I did, was a Northern Southern GP9, this time, I used matt black,first, then a thin coat of gloss black, the finish was much better,as it took less paint, so I did,nt lose any details.

Ronzzr11

Back