Painting brass locomotives

sajordan

I received some good advice from Waltr and Bobh regarding Hon3 motive power, and now have a few more questions. I really like the shays listed on Shayfixer.com, and may purchase one from that shop. However, I’d like to run it in typical colors (black). Given this is a PFM brass loco; will I be diminishing the value of the piece by slathering on some paint? I don’t plan on a resale, I want to play with it, but.
In addition, any good advice or threads on painting these brass art pieces?

Thanks Steve

Only the quality of the paint job will raise or diminish the price of the piece. I highly suggest you get the video:

How to paint a steam locomotive.

They show you how to paint a brass locomotive from beginning to end, including all the prep you have to do to it prior to painting. You cannot just paint a brass locomotive. It won't work that way.

And I sincerely recommend you let someone with a lot of experience do it.....
I can't count all the times that I've recieved locos for repaint from clients where they had a "go" themselves.....
The amount of care required to get a good paintjob is almost painful for a beginner....
Check out the custom painters in your area and see what they would charge you for a paintjob.
My two cents....

I received some good advice from Waltr and Bobh regarding Hon3 motive power, and now have a few more questions. I really like the shays listed on Shayfixer.com, and may purchase one from that shop. However, I’d like to run it in typical colors (black). Given this is a PFM brass loco; will I be diminishing the value of the piece by slathering on some paint? I don’t plan on a resale, I want to play with it, but.
In addition, any good advice or threads on painting these brass art pieces?

Thanks Steve

A good paint job will generally enhance a model's value. A poor one or a freelanced one will usually lower the value. Both painting and mechanical skills are required. The video referenced will get you an acceptable paint job, but not a professional quality one. (the value enhancing type) If you have the skills, give it a shot, but if you have any doubt, you'll probably do better finding a painter.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the good advice

I can paint a bit, and usually clean the castings with Benchly bleachwihte (but thats for resin stuff). I have found a local RR shop in town, I need to visit, spend some money, and see about joining a club to find some talented people.

Back