Paint that matches Rock Island maroon???

Kermit

I need to replace three lift rings on an HO scale Atlas GP40 that is factory decorated in the Rock Island maroon and yellow scheme. Is there a Floquil color or Modelflex color that is pretty close to the Rock Island maroon that I could use to touch up the lift rings before installation? If not can anyone recommend a formula? Thanks.

How dark a maroon is it? Modelflex makes a Rock Island maroon but the color dot is really dark in my brochure.

I'm not sure how to describe the maroon other than it's a dark red. I checked the Modelflex website and didn't find a listing for a Rock Island maroon. I did find a listing for Rock Island red. If it's the red you're thinking of then it would be too bright. The red was part of a newer, brighter paint scheme if my memory is correct. Did you find a listing for Rock Island maroon? Thanks.

Nope, I show 16-199 as Rock Island Maroon and 16-200 as the Rock Island Red. No date on the color chart I have, but I did just get it this year.

Nate, your monitor is not that far off, that's why I was asking how dark it was. That is one dark maroon. I thought it was probably the wrong color. I guess I need to go find some Rock Island pics. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the information. I'll order a bottle of the Modelflex Rock Island maroon. It looks very close to the paint on the locomotive in question.

I'm not sure why I didn't find that color. Had to be one of several reasons. I was suffering from a brain cramp. My eyesight is failing. I'm getting old and senile. Well, anyway I do appreciate the help. :)

Floquil had a Rock Island Maroon, too. Also, if it is the bright red, I use Socony Red, also Floquil.

The Doc is out now.

Back