paint stripping

dk-espee

Question for the custom painters out there: What should I use to strip the newer Atlas locos and the BLI locos?

I have had great success stripping the paint off Athearn models with brake fluid and 90% alcohol, but have ruined a BLI shell and a Kato shell in break fluid. Oven cleaner and 90% alcohol did not touch the paint on the Kato and the BLI paint would not budge in alcohol.

Any info from personal experience is welcome.
Thanks,
Dan

Newer Atlas units strip clean with Alcohol 96% in just a few hours. Don't know about BLI.
Here's a picture of two alchol stripped Atlas GP40's (SP red/grey) after an overnight soak.

Regards,

René

Forgot to mention: the cab on the right unit is a cannon & co, which is bare plastic already.

regards,

René

As Trucula said, I've had plenty of success with Pine-sol. Though, it may leave some paint behind, after a good soaking, and then a short time in 91% alcohol, it'll remove everything.

Yep. The pine sol works great. I stripped a new Proto 2000 S3 and an old offset hopper. The hopper came out clean. Even took the rust off the weights. The S3 only had a little paint left in the top fan which came out with a pin. It does tend to soften the plastic a bit so you have to be careful when rinsing them off. Use rubber gloves or you could end up with a thumb print like I did. Once they are dry the plastic hardens again.

Back