Paint...recommendations?

Dsquared_sleeperMSP

1:87 truck GuRu
I'm looking for the best type of paint (as well as a good name brand) for painting my vehicles/vehicle parts etc. Also, the easiest to apply...maybe something that looks like it was sprayed on (since I don't own a spray gun). I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to painting and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nasty old Testor's enamel is still the best I've found for vehicles. It's sprays well from the rattle cans and goes on well with a brush if you thin it with about 20% Testor's enamel paint thinner. It dries to a nece glossy finish and is pretty smooth as long as you you use good quality brushes or are careful using the spray cans. The stuff is cheap too, an added plus. :)

I like to use the model master and polly scale waterbased paints.They leave better detail on the model as the paint is thinner. Its also easy to fix any mistakes as the paint is very thin and is removed with out alot of wet sanding
The oil baised paints will have a deeper shine than the clearcoats used with the waterbased but I still like the water based better.In the end if you want a used look to a model waterbased is the way to go, if you want a showroom finish stay with oil based

Here are a few examples

the yellow and green Mack are waterbased paints
the white and cabover macks are oil. you can see the sheen better with these.

Edit: I should mention that these were all air brushed models. you really cant get a smooth finish with a paint brush with either paint.

Trent

Last edited by a moderator:
Wally world carries a lot of color's in there hosue brand of spray paint and its cheap runs about $1.12 a can I spray it into a papercup then run it thur the air brush go check out the thread white metal kits,and remember if you rattle can it use THIN coats:D

House of Kolor has some nice auto colors, in bottles, rattle cans, and and cheap spray system. They're getting harder to find now, but some hobby shops still carry them.

I like to use the model master and polly scale waterbased paints.They leave better detail on the model as the paint is thinner. Its also easy to fix any mistakes as the paint is very thin and is removed with out alot of wet sanding
The oil baised paints will have a deeper shine than the clearcoats used with the waterbased but I still like the water based better.In the end if you want a used look to a model waterbased is the way to go, if you want a showroom finish stay with oil based

Here are a few examples

the yellow and green Mack are waterbased paints
the white and cabover macks are oil. you can see the sheen better with these.

Edit: I should mention that these were all air brushed models. you really cant get a smooth finish with a paint brush with either paint.

Trent
Those are some nice rigs you got there!:D Are those HO scale?

I noticed that you said you don't have an airbrush. If you happen to have a Harbor Freight Tools store nearby I recommend stopping in and picking up one of the airbrush kits they have and trying your hand at it. They are very similar to a Paasche unit and are much cheaper. I have had great results from mine and all for $15 a far cry from the $70-$100 for other units

Those are some nice rigs you got there!:D Are those HO scale?

Agreed Trent, those are some sweet looking rigs :D

Promotex has nice Macks in HO scale, as does Athearn, Athearn's are more of the earlier style Makcs, where as Promotex is more of the modern trucks which is good for me :D

Back