P2K Kato trucks

CNWoz

I'm putting a number of P2K HO locomotives through the shops, overhauling them and fitting them with sound. On the Athearn type trucks it has been a relatively easy process to remove the side frames and pry the bottom cover off, releasing the wheelsets for replacement. Yes, I have been surprised at how many are cracked. Now I am on to the SD7s and SD9s with apparently a Kato style truck. Even if the gears aren't split, I would still like to inspect them, clean and lubricate them before going to the trouble of installing the decoder, LEDs and speaker. How does one get these trucks apart. I've removed the truck from the loco frame (easy). I've removed one side frame (don't know how I did it, can't repeat the process on the other side) and have had no luck in exposing the gears. The lower portion is a single piece that seems to lock into the upper part with four tabs but I have been unable to release the tabs. The upper part is actually two parts split vertically. Anyone successfully dismantled these trucks? CNWoz, Australia

Perhaps these pics will jog someone's memory. The trucks appear to be put together like a Chinese puzzle.

Attachments

• SD7 truck 2.JPG
    SD7 truck 2.JPG
    461.7 KB · Views: 124
  • SD7 truck 3.JPG
    SD7 truck 3.JPG
    438.2 KB · Views: 120
  • SD7 truck.JPG
    SD7 truck.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 113
Ah, it does jog my memory!
If it’s the same as what I have there should be two clips on either side, break those off and it will fall apart. The axles and gears should then be free to disappear to parts unknown.
*When I say break I mean gently pry apart*
*When I say fall apart I mean separate*
*When I say disappear I mean vanish*

Back