Overly sensitive GG1?

Myowngod

Pennsy Tuscan Red Blood
I have a Broadway Limited GG1 and the leading and trailing pilots (4 wheel trucks) seem to be very sensitive and hops off the slightest imperfection in track work. I've tried to make the track work as bullet proof as posible but through some switches it jumps all the time and joints between flex track section it seems to jump randomly. I am using code 83 track, this is the first time I'm using it. I never thought it would be so sensitive to track hickups. Has anyone experienced this with your GG1 pilots? And if so how did you remedy it? Do I adjust the spring somehow? Or just keep tweaking the track for the rest of my life?

Thanks

you did check the wheels for gauge? I am sure your track is good...I have been following your layout work...nice job by the way...

I didn't check for gauge yet. when I get back from my Dad's on thursday that's the first thing I'm doing. I have to bring the GG1 home and run a full diagnostics:D .

If the wheels are in gauge and are inline with each other, may I suggest adding just a small amount of weight to each truck. Trying to adjust a spring is sometimes more difficult than it seems like it should be. Whenever I have problems with locos like this, the first thing I do is make sure the whhels are inline with each other, so the truck isn't skewed as it travels down the track. I have even been known to remove the springs altogether and just use additional weight to keep the truck on the rails.

Back