Over-grown rails

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Hey Jim, remember we talked about siding and seldom used tracks back when I was building my diorama?? I saw this picture and it fits that description. These tracks are probably the worst I've ever seen.

62651227849548-1.jpg

That is pretty bad as you cant see whats ahead of you. I have been in some gravel pits that had so much gravel imbeded inbetween the rails that one of the crew had to walk along side the cars making sure the did not derail!

Nice pic! I am modeling a scene like that.
I've also been down track where the weeds and grass were three feet high, you had to walk ahead to feel if the rail was still there!

It seems to be an epidemic, especially during the Summer months..

I attached a shot locally.. That is what happens when fertilizer cars leak..

over grown track

aL1 could you tell me where the G-O pic. was taken? i used to be track inspector for g-o in rural hall n.c. and knoxville tenn. THANKS

Those are some great shots, guys. If anyone else has pictures of overgrown trackage still in use, post 'em here. It's a challenge to model that kind of trackage and still get a train to run but it's so common in real life and it's one of the least modeled areas of our hobby.

I guess the RR's haven't enough $$$ for some Round Up to put in the weed cars? no real reason for the tall grass........ LOL's

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple more.. Believe it or not, those rusty rails are still used (car storage, even then, VERY rare to see trains). Those hopper cars are actually on the mainline!

Near my house there is a spur that has some of the tallest weeds you will ever see on railroad tracks. Now, granted, it's not used very often, but still, those things are at least 4 feet high!

I was in Nice, France, earlier this year and saw this.

nic-lrt-openday-confetti-tram-grassy-ROW-Opera-Vieille-Ville-stn-20071124x_Metrazur.jpg

Obviously intentional - it's manicured lawn with a local light-rail running through it! The strange thing to me is that the grass makes it welcoming and inviting, but that big hunk of metal that rolls through every 15 minutes makes it deadly and frightening. Who thought this was a good idea?
________
Marijuana

I was in Nice, France, earlier this year and saw this.

Obviously intentional - it's manicured lawn with a local light-rail running through it! The strange thing to me is that the grass makes it welcoming and inviting, but that big hunk of metal that rolls through every 15 minutes makes it deadly and frightening. Who thought this was a good idea?

I see what you mean! I makes you want to lay down in the grass and eat lunch. Until you have an univited guest however!!

Here's a pic of an overgrown industrial lead in Fontana, CA that sees pretty regular use. The UP maintenance crew stored their equipment there while upgrading track on the Declezville spur, and didn't seem too concerned about the weeds, as it was several months before they were finally trimmed.

I know this is an old thread but this is my best effort at modeling overgrown track.
IMG_1894.jpg

Looks good. You'll need lots of weeds mixed in. Perfect lawns are rarely seen growing in and around track. scenic express should have what you need.

Back