Other ham railroaders

Red Oak & Western

After noting a couple of amateur radio call signs in members' signatures, I was just wondering how many members are also hams? Do you do anything to combine the two hobbies?

Kevin, W1KLJ

Right now I don't since I just recently got my ticket. (Although people have been after me for years to do so.) I only know of 2 others locally that are railfans/modelers who have a license.
I got my license mostly to protect the scanner from over zealous authorities (I use an Icom R-10). But I've always had a bit of an interest in radio. I've been on *cough cough* 11 meters *cough cough* for 30 years.

I always wanted to get into Ham radio, I was in the 2-way market selling public safety radios many years back, we used Uniden and Yasuh (sp) radios and repeaters. I always was amazed at how a person could talk into a little box and get their voice to come out the other end.

What are the requirements today to get a license? Do they still require a morse code test. I always was terrible at english in school, can imagine trying to learn morse.

dthurman - I'm a ham radio operator, I've been into it for about seven years. You don't have to take a morse code test for the entry level, only the General and Amateur extra class. If you need more info. let me know, I'll be glad to help.

Stan.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother's a Ham radio operator. I will occasionally tag along to the Dayton, Ohio Hamfest. It's been a great souce for tools and idea's. The flea market is a favorite of mine. I've planned to get my Amateur extra (I want the code), but O.T. work usually gets in my way. I still plan to earn my license.

Back